DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 10-20-2007, 12:49 PM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default Eudora vs Mac Mail

Looking at the Preferences, etc., it seems as if Mail would work pretty much as Eudora does — if it will automatically download mail to my hard drive and delete it from the server (as an option).

Question is, does it?

Suppose I could let it copy over my Eudora settings and see how it works. But that sounds potentially like a short trip to chaos.

Anyone using Mail in this Eudora way?

Old 10-21-2007, 01:46 AM   #2
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Sorry, I got rid of Eudora a long time ago when I was supporting eM@iler as a staffer on a CompuServe forum. Then I tried Mail when it came out and eventually moved to Entourage because it was developed by the team that created eM@iler.

Because I now have 30,000+ messages in Entourage I am reluctant to make a change, in spite of the fact that Office is still mired in 2004.

However, I will be interested to hear how you manage your conversion.

Old 10-21-2007, 02:22 AM   #3
Mike
Staff

A quick look at Mail's help suggests that with POP accounts you can choose to store mail messages locally and delete them from the server after a specified time.

The settings are in prefs/accounts with separate settings for each account.

Not sure how Mail would cope with absorbing all my Eudora stuff -- I've kept almost all the emails I've received since June 1998.

www.welshframing.com
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 07:08 AM   #4
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
A quick look at Mail's help suggests that with POP accounts you can choose to store mail messages locally and delete them from the server after a specified time.

The settings are in prefs/accounts with separate settings for each account.
Right. But how do I get them to my desktop — that is the question for me. Eudora does all that automatically, copying e-mail to my many categories and deleting files from the server(s) as it goes. I do like that. (It even does that for my mac.com e-mail, which is IMAC.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
Not sure how Mail would cope with absorbing all my Eudora stuff -- I've kept almost all the emails I've received since June 1998.
Ditto here, only maybe even earlier. I am willing to start fresh with a new e-mail client, assuming I can find one that suits me. I should probably clean up Eudora anyway; lots of rubbish in some of the collections. But it is very tedious and annoying work.

I should find out which of the mail lists retain archives and dump the lot of those; let them keep the files.

Old 10-21-2007, 07:34 AM   #5
Cristen Gillespie

Quote:
KT: Right. But how do I get them to my desktop
Not sure what you want here, but I set up accounts in Mail for people/companies. Mail sorts all incoming mail according to my rules -- which email addresses to place in what folder. The rest go into the main common area.

Is that what you do with Eudora? Mail doesn't automatically place folders on your desktop. It has its own area on the drive and your folders are created there, but I haven't found that a problem.

Old 10-21-2007, 08:05 AM   #6
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Unless the Mac version of Eudora is wildly different from Windows versions, each mailbox/folder is a set of two files on you HDD. One's an index file, the other's the actual email, which is stored in plain old text format.

If you just need to retrieve information, you could use a search utility or an editor.

Will Eudora still run under Leopard or whichever OS version you're running? If so, you could also keep a copy installed but don't feed it any config info that'd point it at a "real" email account. You could then access your old emails just as before w/o worrying about Eudora messing with anything current.

Or to make it a step more useful, give it the SMTP (ie, mail sending) settings for a valid account (maybe a gmail account or whatever) so that you could at need send mail from Eudora but not receive. Even if your new email program doesn't understand Eudora mailboxes, you could forward mail to yourself to get it from Eudora to the new system.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 09:19 AM   #7
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg View Post
Unless the Mac version of Eudora is wildly different from Windows versions, each mailbox/folder is a set of two files on you HDD. One's an index file, the other's the actual email, which is stored in plain old text format.

If you just need to retrieve information, you could use a search utility or an editor.
True. I snagged the Eudora Folder which is where that stuff resides. So I should be able to set up anew on this Mac, with the ability to read old mail in a text editor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg
Will Eudora still run under Leopard or whichever OS version you're running?
Have no idea. Have Leopard pre-ordered, but may wait a while to hear from the chattering Mac-heads before installing it here. Or maybe I will install it on the laptop (though it has only the minimum RAM; probably should up that first. Sigh.).

Quote:
If so, you could also keep a copy installed but don't feed it any config info that'd point it at a "real" email account. You could then access your old emails just as before w/o worrying about Eudora messing with anything current.
True. But I am more interested in dropping tons of old baggage; new stuff should be more manageable, especially as I am dumping some mail lists.

Quote:
Or to make it a step more useful, give it the SMTP (ie, mail sending) settings for a valid account (maybe a gmail account or whatever) so that you could at need send mail from Eudora but not receive. Even if your new email program doesn't understand Eudora mailboxes, you could forward mail to yourself to get it from Eudora to the new system.
I have a gmail account; didn’t think to use it that way. And I have a Mac.com space that Mail could use — but I have a peasant’s distaste for leaving my bits and pieces all over cyberspace (beyond what accumulates just from living, I mean). Guess I need to mull this over.

Thanks.

Old 10-21-2007, 09:23 AM   #8
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristen Gillespie View Post
Not sure what you want here, but I set up accounts in Mail for people/companies. Mail sorts all incoming mail according to my rules -- which email addresses to place in what folder. The rest go into the main common area.

Is that what you do with Eudora? Mail doesn't automatically place folders on your desktop. It has its own area on the drive and your folders are created there, but I haven't found that a problem.
That is what I do with Eudora, but the files are local and the servers are emptied several times a day.

It’s not as if I am doing anything else with that expensive mac.com space — it’s just that something about leaving my mail there makes me uncomfortable.

I think my drop-back position will be to set up Eudora on the iMac for now, but leave old e-mail in a folder in case I need to look something up. At least that will be cleaner. Then in a few months I can rethink this.

Old 10-21-2007, 03:20 PM   #9
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

FWIW, I've found that Eudora's a piece of cake to move here and there on the PC ...

If you always install it to the same-named folder, you can then just copy the files from that-namedfolder on the old computer to that-namedfolder on the new and you're in business.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 04:14 PM   #10
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg View Post
FWIW, I've found that Eudora's a piece of cake to move here and there on the PC ...

If you always install it to the same-named folder, you can then just copy the files from that-namedfolder on the old computer to that-namedfolder on the new and you're in business.
Oh, dear. I did it the hard way. Forwarded overlapping e-mails to myself so they would show up on my new computer.

Only took a few hours.