DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > The Corner Pub

Old 03-20-2006, 04:52 PM   #1
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Default Acrobat Reader throws up error

Earlier today I was using AR7 to read a pdf document when XP Pro threw up an error message that links to the following on the MS website:

Error caused by Adobe Reader: no specific solution available
Problem description

An analyst at Microsoft has investigated this problem and determined that an unknown error occurred in Adobe Reader. This software was created by Adobe Systems Incorporated.

Recommendation Microsoft has researched this problem with Adobe Systems Incorporated, and they do not currently have a solution for the problem that you reported. Below is a recommendation to take that may help prevent the problem from recurring.
Honesty would seem to be a good policy <g>

Previously when this happened I later got either an email or a pop-up that said they had a solution and how to get it.

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 08:52 AM   #2
Michael Rowley

Hugh:

There have been several updates: the latest version of Acrobat Reader is 7.0.7.

Old 03-21-2006, 09:13 AM   #3
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rowley
Hugh:

There have been several updates: the latest version of Acrobat Reader is 7.0.7.
That's the one I have had for some time.

I've just rechecked and there are no updates I've not installed except some spell checkers and I don't use them.

Hugh
Old 03-21-2006, 01:15 PM   #4
PeterArnel

Location: North of Swindon in the UK on the edge of the Cotswolds

Hugh
I u can create a pdf file with the problems and post it - I would like to see if I have the same problem
Peter
PeterArnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 03:01 PM   #5
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterArnel
Hugh
I u can create a pdf file with the problems and post it - I would like to see if I have the same problem
Peter
This is acrobat reader and it was looking at a file on someone's website -- I forget where now.

I only posted to draw attention to a potential problem, since MS seem to have discussed it with Adobe and neither has a solution. In due course I expect one will appear.

Hugh
Old 03-21-2006, 02:32 PM   #6
Michael Rowley

Hugh:

I had a problem with another updated program, & when it was reported to Microsoft I got back a message saying that it was a problem with the program concerned, and the publishers were working on it. It was a while before I received the update that corrected the previous one.

From what I remember, didn't v. 7.0.7 implemement the latest improvement, which was the ability to view (Adobe) 3D files? If so, perhaps you could revert to 7.0.5.

Old 03-21-2006, 03:03 PM   #7
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Quote:
Hugh:

I had a problem with another updated program, & when it was reported to Microsoft I got back a message saying that it was a problem with the program concerned, and the publishers were working on it. It was a while before I received the update that corrected the previous one.

From what I remember, didn't v. 7.0.7 implemement the latest improvement, which was the ability to view (Adobe) 3D files? If so, perhaps you could revert to 7.0.5.
That is what happened to me and as I said had happened before with another program. I think it's first class that MS are giving messages written in English and that make sense <g>

I'm not bothered about what happened -- it was For Information.

Hugh
Old 03-21-2006, 03:57 PM   #8
Michael Rowley

Hugh:

I think it's first class that MS are giving messages written in English and that make sense

Yes, but I'm getting tired of telling Microsoft that Outlook or Internet Explorer have locked my computer solid again.

Old 03-21-2006, 05:29 PM   #9
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Quote:
Yes, but I'm getting tired of telling Microsoft that Outlook or Internet Explorer have locked my computer solid again.
I agree. How updated is your Windows? They seem to bring out a lot of updates for MSIE and not all are security fixes.

Hugh
Old 03-22-2006, 09:11 AM   #10
Michael Rowley

Hugh:

How updated is your Windows?

Bang up to date! I use Microsoft's automatic system. I occasionally look to see what the updates are for, but I find I'm not much wiser afterwards. Adobe's system is less flexible: I sometimes find that when I open Acrobat Reader, I get a message saying that it's being shut down again for an update: it can be annoying if all I want to do is take a quick look at a document.