DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Photography

Old 01-18-2006, 08:25 PM   #1
marlene
Staff

Default Inexpensive slide scanning service?

A client wants a handful of 35mm slides scanned -- the images will be used in a PowerPoint presentation. I only know where to get drum scans done, and that would be way to expensive.

Can anyone recommend a place (probably anywhere in the U.S. would work, since there is FedEx) that does "standard" slide scanning at a reasonable price? The only place I knew about (they used to charge $2.25 per image to scan to photo CD) has gone out of business.

Another client once sent me digital images that were scanned from slides by a local one-hour photo processor, and they were pretty awful, so I don't want to suggest that.

TIA,

mxh
marlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 10:14 AM   #2
terrie
Sysop

Quote:
marlene: A client wants a handful of 35mm slides scanned -- the images will be used in a PowerPoint presentation. I only know where to get drum scans done, and that would be way to expensive.
How many is a handful? I have a slide scanner--max res 2820. Be happy to scan them for you. Do they want any editing done on the scans?

Email me...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 10:36 AM   #3
marlene
Staff

The client e-mailed me this morning and said they were getting the scans (17 slides) done at Ritz -- for 75 cents each! (I imagine the quality will be pretty bad.)

I found a couple other places that would do the scans for prices ranging from $2.25 to $10 each.

I have a slide scanner, but I won't do scans for those prices!

But thanks for offering. For future reference, how much would you charge for unedited scans? The images would need to be cropped to get rid of the black border that sometimes shows up on slide scans. I don't think the client can do cropping.

mxh
Old 01-19-2006, 11:01 AM   #4
terrie
Sysop

Quote:
marlene: The client e-mailed me this morning and said they were getting the scans (17 slides) done at Ritz -- for 75 cents each! (I imagine the quality will be pretty bad.)
Do let me know what the scans are like...I'm very curious!

>>I found a couple other places that would do the scans for prices ranging from $2.25 to $10 each.

That sounds about right...before I got my slide scanner I think I paid about $1.50/scan for about 200 slides. The $10 might be the Pro version that is very high res...

>>I have a slide scanner, but I won't do scans for those prices!

I forgot that you had a slide scanner...I wouldn't do it for $.75 either...

>>For future reference, how much would you charge for unedited scans? The images would need to be cropped to get rid of the black border that sometimes shows up on slide scans. I don't think the client can do cropping.

If the scans are just going to be cropped with NO clean-up (and you know how much gunk there usually is on slide scans), I think $2.25 to $3.00 per slide is reasonable.

If they wanted the slides cleaned-up and color corrected, then I'd probably charge an hourly fee of $25/hr for clean-up and color correction on top of the scan fee. I'd provide the original scan and the 'final' scan on a CD--price of the CD included in the scan cost.

Does that seem reasonable to you?

Terrie
Old 01-19-2006, 04:49 PM   #5
marlene
Staff

Quote:
Does that seem reasonable to you?
No, it sounds too cheap. <g>

I won't even do a b&w flatbed scan for less than $15!

But if the situation arises again, I'll contact you and we can figure it out then.

mxh
Old 01-20-2006, 01:53 PM   #6
terrie
Sysop

Quote:
marlene: No, it sounds too cheap. <g>
ROFL!!! Good to know...'-}}

>>I won't even do a b&w flatbed scan for less than $15!

You know...it's funny...for some reason in my mind, it's easier to scan a slide with the slide scanner than muck about scanning anything on a flatbed...I'm not sure why but perhaps it's because I of the work I know I will have to do with the flatbed scan to clean it up and if all that was wanted was the raw slide scan, there is no other real work involved--just scan and go...

What can I say...I'm weird...'-}}

>>But if the situation arises again, I'll contact you and we can figure it out then.

Cool!

Do let me know what their $.75 scans were like...I'm very curious...

Terrie
Old 01-20-2006, 02:00 PM   #7
marlene
Staff

Quote:
it's easier to scan a slide with the slide scanner than muck about scanning anything on a flatbed
When I have flat photos, I have no choice but to scan them on the flatbed. But I don't really have to do any more cleanup on flatbed scans than I do on slide scans. I've been using VueScan for both scanners, which gives me better results than the software than came with the flatbed and slide scanners.

I am also curious to see how the 75-cent scans turn out.

mxh
Old 01-20-2006, 02:14 PM   #8
terrie
Sysop

Quote:
marlene: When I have flat photos, I have no choice but to scan them on the flatbed. But I don't really have to do any more cleanup on flatbed scans than I do on slide scans.
If you are really careful with the slide and have a cleaning brush, you do have a chance to have a relatively clean scan but I can't say that is true for photos--they always need cleanup as photos generally aren't handled with too much care...

>>I've been using VueScan for both scanners, which gives me better results than the software than came with the flatbed and slide scanners.

Oh...I love Vuescan...I use it exclusively with my slide scanner but very, very rarely if ever with my flatbed...not sure why...

>>I am also curious to see how the 75-cent scans turn out.

I can't imagine they will be any good...

Terrie