DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Old 06-01-2016, 01:22 PM   #1
Andrew B.
Staff

Default HP Envy 14t (what I got)

I was hemming and hawing about what to get and decided that's not a smart thing to do. I need to have computer here with a keyboard that works (as opposed to using an external keyboard). So I simply bought the default configuration, which is:

HP ENVY Notebook - 14t-j100 CTO
HP TrueVision HD Webcam with Dual Digital Microphone, Fingerprint Reader
8GB DDR3L (Onboard 4GB + 4GB - 1 DIMM)
14.0-inch diagonal HD BrightView WLED-backlit Display (1366x768)
1TB 5400 rpm Hard Drive
3-cell 55.5WHr Lithium-ion Battery
802.11b/g/n WLAN and Bluetooth(R) [1x1]
Backlit Keyboard
6th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6200U Processor Dual-Core + Intel(R) HD Graphics 520
Windows 7 Professional 64

Plus
External Tray Super Multi 8X DVD+/-RW w/Double Layer

Old 06-02-2016, 07:32 AM   #2
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

And are you well pleased, sir?

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 12:38 PM   #3
terrie
Staff

Quote:
andrew: Windows 7 Professional 64
Excellent decision, sir!!! '-}}

Now...before you do anything else: Control Panel > Windows Update > NEVER! --at least for the time being...'-}}

I hope you like the new laptop...

Suggested additions:

1. Classic Shell - install both the Start Menu and Explorer options--I never install the Internet Explorer option. If you let me know, I'll email you my settings file which you can import and will get you started with not much work...

2. 7-Zip - make sure to download the 64bit version because the 32bit version will work but you won't get the 7-Zip options listed in Explorer when you right-click

3. RevoUninstaller Free - scroll down the page until you see the download for the FREE version. Note that the free version does not "see" 64-bit programs. They offer a 30-day fully functional trial of the Pro version which I think it worth the money ($39.52) but I'll bet you could any 64bit stuff uninstalled within the 30-day window and then go with the free version.

4. AutoRuns - best tool out there for finding what's loading at startup (see the Logon tab) and what tasks have been scheduled behind your back (see the Scheduled Tasks tab)

5. Malwarebytes AntiMalware version 1.75 - I prefer version 1.75

6. GWX Control Panel - if you are going to try Windows Updates, then definitely!!! install this software!

7. ZoneAlarm FREE version 9.2.106 - not as bloated as more current versions and works just fine in Win7/Pro/64bit

8. Avast Free version 7.0.1474 - I prefer this version because it has fewer restrictions than the more current free versions

Terrie

Last edited by terrie; 06-02-2016 at 01:02 PM. Reason: fix a typo
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 02:00 PM   #4
Andrew B.
Staff

I haven't gotten very far (lack of health). But the screen and keyboard are fine and I can get online via my network.

When I tried to create rescue DVDs it would not recognize the media. I checked the drive by watching a movie. It works. But that's the only test so far. So I ordered a flash drive to create the rescue thing. I'm not up to calling tech support right now. I exhausted myself dealing with the phone company. I should have postponed that.

Old 06-02-2016, 05:40 PM   #5
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Quote:
So I ordered a flash drive to create the rescue thing.
Large ones are so cheap even in USB 3 -- I found a Kingston 64GB USB3 Dual (has plugs for standard and micro usb) for less than the similar USB2! On Amazon.

I had one already and I've put Macrium Reflect's Recovery drive on that which creates in in WinPE10 and boots up looking just like Windows. You can create some folders on it if you want to and then image the whole hard drive to the remaining space depending on how large it is, unless you have room on an external hard drive.

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 06:20 PM   #6
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Sorry to hear you're not feeling up to par, Andrew.

Some of the rescue media-making programs I've run across want the first disc to be a CD; the remainder can be either (though obviously, you'd want to use DVDs)

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 06-02-2016, 07:10 PM   #7
terrie
Staff

Quote:
steve: rescue media-making programs I've run across want the first disc to be a CD
Interesting...why? Booting issues?

Terrie
Old 06-03-2016, 06:19 AM   #8
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

I've always assumed so.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 06-03-2016, 12:29 PM   #9
terrie
Staff

I found the UEFI on my new system somewhat confusing--not that I was all that comfortable with what was the "standard" BIOS--because it was set (by default I'm guessing) not to load/recognize USB until after booting which, given the ubiquity of USB keyboards and mice, was pretty annoying so I had to go in and change the settings which made the boot process take oh...maybe 2 seconds longer but, really, having USB fully available on boot completion seemed a reasonable trade-off...

Terrie
Old 06-03-2016, 06:59 PM   #10
Andrew B.
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg View Post
Some of the rescue media-making programs I've run across want the first disc to be a CD; the remainder can be either (though obviously, you'd want to use DVDs)
I received the USB drive today and made the recover USB. Very unlike me, I didn't test boot it. But I'm doing stuff on faith this time (sort of). I also made some small changed in Windows, like turning off auto-updates, stopping the startup sound, checked out the notification area, etc.

If all goes well, I'm going to get the basics set up and I'll be using the new computer by tomorrow end of day.