DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > How to Use the Forum

Old 02-26-2005, 09:59 AM   #1
Stephen Owades

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel
Nice for those who can use MSIE. But version 5 doesn’t do that well here. Safari is okay except using the text editor is a pain.

What’s weird, though, is that it doesn’t affect everyone, on either platform. Ann had no trouble with those screens, and she is also using Firefox on a Mac. And Steve Owades did have, in Windows. (But not in MSIE 6.)

It's the hit-or-miss aspect that has me puzzled.
A new version of Mozilla Firefox (1.0.1) was released yesterday, and I downloaded and installed it. It does not cure the expanding-message-tree problem in this forum, unfortunately.

I've done some more experimenting with the situation, and the way it behaves is quite interesting. The width of the message-tree frame starts out matching the width of other frames when I select a message thread, and it changes as I adjust the width of the browser window. But once I start clicking on individual messages within that frame, the right edge of the frame grows with each click, and after a modest number of clicks it has expanded beyond the width of the browser window. Once it has started growing in that way, it will not contract when the window is made narrower. Expanding the browser window will expand the message-tree frame, and contracting the window will contract that frame, but the narrowing stops at the width it had reached as of the last message click (I hope that makes some sense!).

If I remember to start off with a browser window that's narrower than my screen, I can expand the browser window and "buy" a number of clicks, but this is clumsy. I hope the problem can be identified and solved.

Last edited by Stephen Owades; 02-26-2005 at 10:28 AM.
Stephen Owades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 10:39 AM   #2
don Arnoldy
Curmudgeon

Stephen-

I suspect that this is caused by the thread tree being inside an IFRAME--a tag which is not fully supported by all browsers. There are a couple other anomolies that relate to this frame. I will report this as a bug to jelsoft--the authors of the software. If I could get some OS details to include in my report, it would be helpful! thanks.

Old 02-26-2005, 07:48 PM   #3
Stephen Owades

Quote:
Originally Posted by don Arnoldy
Stephen-

I suspect that this is caused by the thread tree being inside an IFRAME--a tag which is not fully supported by all browsers. There are a couple other anomolies that relate to this frame. I will report this as a bug to jelsoft--the authors of the software. If I could get some OS details to include in my report, it would be helpful! thanks.
In my case, it's Windows XP SP2 and Mozilla Firefox 1.0.1.
Stephen Owades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 07:56 PM   #4
don Arnoldy
Curmudgeon

thanks!

Old 02-26-2005, 09:29 PM   #5
Franca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Owades
In my case, it's Windows XP SP2 and Mozilla Firefox 1.0.1.
And almost the same here. Win XP SP2 and Firefox 1.0.

Franca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 09:32 PM   #6
don Arnoldy
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franca
And almost the same here. Win XP SP2 and Firefox 1.0.
Are you seeing the behavior Stephen describes?

Old 02-26-2005, 11:24 PM   #7
Franca
Staff

Yes, exactly the same. There is at least one other thread about this problem currently going on elsewhere on the forum - I'm too tired to look it up at the moment - and it's been mentioned before now as well. Not everybody describes it exactly the same way - it's not easy when you don't know what to call the different bits on the page - but it's the same problem. Stephen's description is about as clear as I've seen. I may even have posted a screen shot at some point but that was awhile ago, maybe when we were still testing. Navigating through the thread causes the thread window to grow wider, bit by bit. Every time you either click on a message in a thread or use the thread navigation up/down arrows it creeps out to the right a bit further. The thread window resets if you reply to a post or otherwise navigate away from the page and return but starts growing as soon as you start reading through the messages.

Old 02-26-2005, 11:37 PM   #8
Andrew B.
Staff

Hmmm. I guess I didn't understand the other thread that explained this. But now I do. So tried this out in FireFox 1.0 running on Windows 2K. I see the problem. With each click in the thread tree, the thread window gets a little wider. And it doesn't matter if I click up the tree or down the tree. Every click makes it a little wider, until it goes off the screen.

BTW, clicking the reload button has an interesting effect. It momentary compresses the window into place, and then the window enlarges again, by itself.
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 11:43 PM   #9
Franca
Staff

Quote:
BTW, clicking the reload button has an interesting effect. It momentarily compresses the window into place, and then the window enlarges again, by itself.
Yes, it does! But not quite as far out as it was before reloading, at least not this time. I'd let the thread window get pretty wide, to where there was a horizontal scroll bar. After the reload it only widened about two clicks' worth.

Old 02-27-2005, 05:12 AM   #10
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew B.
Hmmm. I guess I didn't understand the other thread that explained this. But now I do. So tried this out in FireFox 1.0 running on Windows 2K. I see the problem. With each click in the thread tree, the thread window gets a little wider. And it doesn't matter if I click up the tree or down the tree. Every click makes it a little wider, until it goes off the screen.

BTW, clicking the reload button has an interesting effect. It momentary compresses the window into place, and then the window enlarges again, by itself.
We should probably ask the Mozilla people if they know of a reason for this.

And I wonder if Mozilla has the same problem. Do we have any Windows Mozilla users here?