DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Design

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-16-2007, 12:32 PM   #1
Squagnut

Default Full-Page/outsize Image Bleeds - Help!

First, I'm a baby at DTP! I went on no courses or anything like that.

I'm dtp'ing an 8" x 10" 56-page booklet with lots of colour photos. The centrefold is to be a single photo which goes right up to the edges all round - no margins, page numbers, or anything else. I've cropped and split the image in two, so that it fits just right on both pages. The printer has specified that in order to accommodate this, the whole book should be printed on 8.25 x 10.25 PDF pages - no problem with that - but also that the centrefold images should be 8.25 x 10.25, thus exceeding the 8 x 10 I'm working in.

I'm using Pagemaker 7.0 on Windows, and the PMD pages are 8 x 10, so the centrefold images exceed the page size. I presume as a consequence of this, the centrefold won't print to PDF, whether I print directly to CutePDF or go via Distiller, using a PostScript save (it won't make a PostScript file), or any other method I've tried.

I suggested to the printer that I create a separate PMD doc for just those two pages, and size that in Pagemaker at 8.25 x 10.25, which would produce what I think is the desired result - a full 8.25 x 10.25 PDF of the centre images, which can easily be merged into the rest of the document.

I've tried reading the manual and scouring the net, and I've don't think I'm doing anything silly (I'll gladly stand corrected, if I find out what I need to know), but the info is hard to find, so - if it's possible to print a pdf of a Pagemaker 7 page with outsize images, could someone please tell me how? And is there anything wrong with the method I suggested?

If anyone's interested, the image is of a lot of marine bivalve molluscs in Florida...
Squagnut is offline   Reply With Quote