DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-28-2012, 08:27 PM   #1
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Default USB3 weirdness

I'm setting up a new Lenovo X220 laptop. Some of curveto's comments persuaded me to try an SSD this time instead of a conventional platterspinner.

Curveto Speaks Truth. This little sucker is FAST.

OTOH, it's also kinda small. At 160gb, it'd be fine for anything I'd want to do, except that I want to be able to run a fair number of virtual machines on it. Not all at once, y'unnerstand, but still ... these things are BIG files. 4-8 gigs each and up.

I'll put a couple of the ones I use most often on the SDD drive but for the occasional use jobbies, I figured I'd run 'em off an external drive; got a model with a USB3 port specifically for this reason, and also popped for a little Hitachi Touro Mobile Pro 500gb drive .. tiny, light, USB3, and 7200 RPM. What's not to love?

Well, how about the fact that it works fine in the new lappie if I plug it into a USB2 port, but when I feed it USB3 electrons, the PC tells me I need to format it before I can use it, and in Disk Manager, the drive flashes in and out like mad.

The fix, baud bless the internet, turns out to be turning off the power management feature in the laptop's USB driver software.

And now, I swear, the thing fires up VMs faster off the external HDD than my other PCs do of their hard drives. Speed Thrills.

And thank you, curveto; yer a straight shooter. ;-)

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote