DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Fonts & Typography

Old 01-10-2008, 12:10 PM   #1
groucho
Staff

Default Windows: Old PS font, no PFM files?

Spring cleaning came early this year, and I found a set of floppies with some fonts I don't have installed, the Monotype Bulmer family.

I didn't try to run any of the accompanying software figuring it is more likely to explode than anything else. (Monotype Font Foundry Utility) But the font files include AFM, PFB, INF and no PFM files.

PFM files are the only files that Windows wants to see these days, naturally.

Does anyone remember--how did we generate PFM files? How can I generate them today?
groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 12:48 PM   #2
Michael Rowley

Groucho:

Quote:
how did we generate PFM files?
They're automatically made from either the INF or the AFM files (I've forgotten) by Windows.

Old 01-10-2008, 01:48 PM   #3
groucho
Staff

Maybe they were--but these days, you install fonts either by using the install menu or dragging them into the c:\windows\fonts folder, and either way it only recognizes PFM files.

I found a third party "AFMtoPFM" folder that builds PFMs form the AFM files, but that program won't run under Vista, even in compatibility mode.

I have an old, old copy of Adobe Font Manager (AFM) that might do the same trick...have to look at that later if nothing else turns up.

I wonder, if I put the AFM files on my oldest (Win95) machine (that sleeps for months on end) if the tools are still in that...?

When spring cleaning is over, that one is leaving home, too.<G>
Old 01-10-2008, 04:39 PM   #4
Michael Rowley

Groucho:
Quote:
you install fonts either by using the install menu or dragging them into the c:\windows\fonts folder, and either way it only recognizes PFM files
I've only ever installed Type 1 fonts by using ATM Deluxe or ATM (now, ATM 'Lite'), and have never heard of Adobe Font Manager. But then many people (not you) still do describe Adobe Type Manager as A. Font Manager, although it must be a long time since AFM changed to ATM.

But since ATM Deluxe doesn't run under Vista, I presume AFM wouldn't. What happens if you copy all the files and let Vista take its pick?

Old 01-10-2008, 04:45 PM   #5
groucho
Staff

As I said, Vista won't recognize any of those files as fonts. It offers to do nothing with them--it wants TTF or PFM.

Adobe Font Manager: I meant, Adobe Type Manager, ATM or ATM Deluxe.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:57 PM   #6
iamback

Maybe a ready-made virtual machine ("appliance") with an older Windows version would enable you to run the software and convert the fonts?

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 08:39 AM   #7
groucho
Staff

It might, but I'm not familiar with VPC yet. (Yet--that's coming.)

Apparently ATMD was already scrubbed from the old Win95 machine, and the new afmtopfm tool I found won't run on it, complains about a DLL link which I''ll look into another time.

Might have the right ATMD on an Adobe Type On Call CD (?) or an older ATMD version that I saw the old day, leftover from the NT4 days. There's a lot on the ToDo List that comes ahead of the searching I'll have to do for this.<G>
Old 01-11-2008, 07:53 AM   #8
Michael Rowley

Groucho:

Quote:
it wants TTF or PFM
Or OTF. Linotype's FontExplorer X works with Vista, but the final version hasn't been released yet, and the beta version has been withdrawn. Perhaps some kind person that's got the beta will offer to unlock the files you've got.

Old 01-11-2008, 09:50 PM   #9
Gerry Kowarsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by groucho View Post
Does anyone remember--how did we generate PFM files? How can I generate them today?
In the absence of a PFM, Windows needs both the AFM and the INF files to install a font. Windows doesn't get very much from the INF file but does get something (the Window menu name, I think).

I just tried installing some fonts under Windows XP from old Adobe font diskettes that have AMFs, INFs, and PFBs. I opened the Fonts folder, then selected "Install New Font..." on the "File" menu. This worked for some fonts but not for others. It might be worth trying this procedure if Vista has a similar menu item.
Gerry Kowarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 06:33 AM   #10
groucho
Staff

Hi Gerry. Vista has the same menu selection and appears to use the same user interface for installing fonts.

But, at least in this case, it only wants to know about the PFMs.

I have access to both W2K and XP, I'll have to try futzing around with those two to see what I can get done I guess. Or, perhaps a friend's WinME system will run the afmtopfm program, I'll need to check out the online dox on that again too.