DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > How to Use the Forum

Old 05-21-2006, 02:30 PM   #1
George

Default Forum Articles

When DTP was with CompuServe, it had a library of articles. Many of them were very good. What happened to all those articles? I can't find them here.

George
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 04:45 PM   #2
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George
When DTP was with CompuServe, it had a library of articles. Many of them were very good. What happened to all those articles? I can't find them here.
We do not really have a library here. Can you remember the topics? Perhaps we have them and can post them in a message.

If not, perhaps we can launch a thread that replicates the information.

Old 05-22-2006, 03:31 AM   #3
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel
We do not really have a library here. Can you remember the topics? Perhaps we have them and can post them in a message.

If not, perhaps we can launch a thread that replicates the information.
Remember them? Actually, I have a file in My documents with ones I found most helpful. At the CompuServe DTP, it happened quite a bit that articles were recommended in response to poster's questions. Then, every once in a while I woould rummage through the library.

It's interesting to see how some forums use a library of articles. It's interesting to see how some forums will take any aspect of design and function and make it unique. That would be an interesting thread some day.

In this forum, the products recommended are very interesting. A section with links to them all would be interesting.

George
Old 05-22-2006, 10:45 AM   #4
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Remember them? Actually, I have a file in My documents with ones I found most helpful. At the CompuServe DTP, it happened quite a bit that articles were recommended in response to poster's questions. Then, every once in a while I woould rummage through the library.

It's interesting to see how some forums use a library of articles. It's interesting to see how some forums will take any aspect of design and function and make it unique.
You know this is a volunteer-run forum. We welcome suggestions of functions we do not have. But we might also need help in designing, implementing, and maintaining such a library. I would be glad to hear your ideas.

Old 05-22-2006, 01:20 PM   #5
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel
You know this is a volunteer-run forum. We welcome suggestions of functions we do not have. But we might also need help in designing, implementing, and maintaining such a library. I would be glad to hear your ideas.
Kathleen,

Well, my first post at CompuServe DTP, to which you responded, thank you, was how does a person get a domain name. I've tried to build on my knowledge from there. So I would set certain objectives; look in the library for articles; then set new objectives; look for new articles (like the ones that made no sense the month before); and then on and on.

Looking at my file of copied articles-- I have things like 10 good deeds in web design, 10 common mistakes, a lot of articles on fonts, and so on. The first one you guided me to was on New Century Schoolbook being a good choice for laser printers. I still like this font.

I think forums that do articles well have a limited selection (maybe large, but not out of control) of very good ones on the most relevant topics in their field--and it's the administrators' understanding of relevance that makes the selection interesting. Usually there is a tab in a bar at top. However, some forums have a narrow side column with a warm and cozy color scheme with linked titles.

In this forum, I liked the products suggested for a digitizer tablet (yep, I had never heard of it), flash drives, various fonts, various books, Alan Shepard's digital book, etc. etc.-- but even free software links would be nice like caps unlock, clipomatic, screen ruler, favicon graphic maker, etc. etc. I think a page on these type links would be nice.

I think having sections in a forum like these adds a real depth and helps create a mood about the community. But, everthing takes time, usually a lot of it, which goes by quickly anymore. How I do things like this is to create a file and then add little peices as they come along. Then, one day I look at the peices and I see them all falling together.

Well, that's not much in ideas, but it might start some thinking that could go somewhere one day, or did I miss something??

George
Old 05-22-2006, 05:08 AM   #6
dthomsen8

Default Library at INETPUB

Quote:
When DTP was with CompuServe, it had a library of articles. Many of them were very good. What happened to all those articles? I can't find them here. George
Well before the INETPUB closed, I was asking Judy, the librarian, about the articles and software, but nothing was done, and it all went into the great bitbucket in the sky. (The great bitbucket in the sky is next to the Great Pumpkin of Peanuts fame.) Much of that material was obsolete, though.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 10:41 AM   #7
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthomsen8
Well before the INETPUB closed, I was asking Judy, the librarian, about the articles and software, but nothing was done, and it all went into the great bitbucket in the sky. (The great bitbucket in the sky is next to the Great Pumpkin of Peanuts fame.) Much of that material was obsolete, though.
We all discussed this and salvaged as much as we could that still seemed useful, but this is the first time anyone has requested some of the old files.

None of them are HTML, so they are raw ascii. But we could probably set up a download resource of some of them, as time permits. Perhaps you and George could tell us the topics of interest.

We also deliberately started threads here on some of the key topics of interest over the years so we could have updated discussions on many of these old topics. Here the threads are durable — they do not scroll.

I am talking about DTP but I was on staff at INETPUB, and I believe Judy followed the same course.

Let us know what you are interested in; perhaps we can surprise you.

Old 05-22-2006, 02:28 PM   #8
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

KT, roughly how many articles were we able to save from DTP? And how many of those do you figure are worth resurrecting? And will it get us into a nastymatch with AOLCISWhatever if we publish any of it?

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 04:58 PM   #9
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg
KT, roughly how many articles were we able to save from DTP? And how many of those do you figure are worth resurrecting? And will it get us into a nastymatch with AOLCISWhatever if we publish any of it?
I have no idea how many.

As for rights, both CIS and we can claim composite copyright (and the posters have rights as well). I do not think that could be an issue.

Elyse may have a better idea of what and how much. As I recall, there was not a lot to save.

Old 05-23-2006, 04:20 PM   #10
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

If there's any interest and a place to store the HTML, I could probably cobble up a way to convert it into simple HTML and maybe even wrap it up so it looks like part of the forum.

Haven't the time to do all the putting together, but could at least get it started.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote