DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > The Corner Pub

Old 09-26-2008, 08:02 PM   #1
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

Default CIS, 1st of its kind, "born" 24 Sept. 1979

I happened to glance at one of those "this date in history" features in a newspaper from two days back and one of the items was that September 24, 1979 was when Compuserve began, the first online information service.

I don't think I have ever before known a specific date for it, just the year.

Just thought I'd mention it since if it wasn't for that grandaddy of all online services we wouldn't be here today.

Old 09-26-2008, 09:30 PM   #2
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElyseC View Post
I happened to glance at one of those "this date in history" features in a newspaper from two days back and one of the items was that September 24, 1979 was when Compuserve began, the first online information service.

I don't think I have ever before known a specific date for it, just the year.

Just thought I'd mention it since if it wasn't for that grandaddy of all online services we wouldn't be here today.
I was a latecomer - didn't join until 1987!

Old 09-27-2008, 08:43 AM   #3
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by annc View Post
I was a latecomer - didn't join until 1987!
And the two of us even later, November 24, 1989.

Posted my first question in the Mac hardware forum and had an answer by the next morning from Lofty Becker. I was thrilled.

Old 09-27-2008, 12:41 PM   #4
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElyseC View Post
And the two of us even later, November 24, 1989.

Posted my first question in the Mac hardware forum and had an answer by the next morning from Lofty Becker. I was thrilled.
I posted mine in the Mac software forum and also received a reply from Lofty.

Old 09-27-2008, 01:19 PM   #5
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
I posted mine in the Mac software forum and also received a reply from Lofty.
It wasn’t my first question on MAUG, but in late 1983 I was considering buying a refurbished Apple Lisa. I posted a query about the wisdom of doing that, and I too got a rapid reply from Lofty, recommending against it.

Someone on MAUG then said that he (or maybe someone else) had recently spied a very odd-looking box-shaped computer with a built-in Lisa-like WYSIWYG display in a hotel suite at a computer show. That person suggested I would want to wait and get that — the Mac, of course — instead of an old Lisa. And when it came out, that is exactly what I did.

Old 09-27-2008, 01:42 PM   #6
annc
Sysop

I stopped using the MAUG forums after I asked a question about Hypercard and was told by Larry that it was a stupid question. I continued to use CIS off and on, but came back for good when DTP started. Dial-up was horrendously expensive here, so I had to ration myself for many years.

Old 09-27-2008, 01:50 PM   #7
Howard Allen

Quote:
I stopped using the MAUG forums after I asked a question about Hypercard and was told by Larry that it was a stupid question.
Funny when I think about it now, you used to see all sorts of flames about "wasting bandwidth with stupid questions". "Don't ask questions on the forum if you can find the answers in a book!" (!!!!!) I saw this more than once on the CIS Science/Math forum in the early days (for me, which was about 1992).

OSX 10.10.5
Howard Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 01:57 PM   #8
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Allen View Post
Funny when I think about it now, you used to see all sorts of flames about "wasting bandwidth with stupid questions". "Don't ask questions on the forum if you can find the answers in a book!" (!!!!!) I saw this more than once on the CIS Science/Math forum in the early days (for me, which was about 1992).
CompuServe didn’t seem so bad about that — nothing like the newsgroups. Many (most?) of those that I frequented were run by tyrants who seemed to enjoy putting newcomers — or even regulars who had the temerity to ask a naive question — in their place.

They seemed to think that the information they had was like platinum — of incredible value, anyway — and that it would be diminished if they divulged it.

There are web groups that follow that style, but not all, thank goodness!

Old 09-27-2008, 03:08 PM   #9
annc
Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Allen View Post
That single MAUG experience was the only time it happened to me, but then I didn't go back to MAUG and only started using the Mac forums when Binky took them over and I was made a staff member to support FileMaker Pro after the November 1999 consolidation.

P.S. Any reason why you haven't upgraded to 10.5.5?

Old 09-28-2008, 01:36 AM   #10
Howard Allen

Quote:
P.S. Any reason why you haven't upgraded to 10.5.5?
Yup: I'm sitting on an oil drilling location in Saskatchewan, with a chronically overloaded satellite dish internet connection. The 136 MB download--assuming it would even complete (it wouldn't)--would take hours. A few days ago, in a momentary lapse of judgement, I rashly attempted to download the FMP 9 upgrade, which quickly brought me to my senses. 10.5.5 (and FMP 9) can wait 'til I get home.

OSX 10.10.5
Howard Allen is offline   Reply With Quote