DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-15-2010, 01:29 PM   #3
terrie
Staff

I have gone through this myself when I got my FiOS line and kept my 2nd POTS line which I originally got to use with my modem (1991!) and then used it for incoming faxes--I use my pc for outgoing faxes.

I did a little of research on sharing a fax line only to discover that the modem I have in my pc does not have the option for distinctive ring--have you investigated that option?

My sister gave me her old fax machine--a nice Sharp UX-P200--and it's been sitting in a box in my bedroom for well over a year. I'm in the process of seeing if someone on the Herndon/Reston Freecycle might want it but I've not gotten any responses. You can have it if you want it--I have an extra fax-film cart for it and there is one in it also along with the user manual.

I did some investigating of internet faxing services and at the time Trustfax was reasonably priced ($30-$40/year depending on the plan) but I've just checked them and now they are charging almost $90/year!

The other reasonably priced service was Maxemail--their Lite version--at $24/year with 100 incoming faxes/voicmails per month (extra inbound pages/message at $.05/page/message) BUT!!! the fax number is non-local which may or may not be an issue for you. Their plan comparison page will show you all their options.

A free receive option was depositbox but they are now FaxBetter and they still have a free 50 pages/month version with a toll-free number but their paid version ($5.95/month) is the least expensive with 500 pages/month (send and receive with a $.06/page over 500 pages) and a toll free number.

In the end, I've never signed up for a fax service and I just recently cancelled my 2nd line...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote