DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Old 07-18-2008, 11:17 AM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default A clickety-clack keyboard

I just ordered Das Keyboard Professional, sold by the description:
The Das Keyboard Professional provides the best typing experience combined with a modern glossy look and useful features.

Das Keyboard sports best-in-class German-engineered gold-plated mechanical key switches that provide tactile and audio feedback making typing a pure joy. Once you start typing, the tactile and audio clicks create positive reinforcing feedback. It makes typing fun and addictive. Newly added blue LEDs provide a slick look and the new USB hub allows you to charge and sync your iPod or iPhone. Fast typists and gamers will be glad to hear Das Keyboard has an n-key rollover function allowing up to 12 keys to be pressed simultaneously. Finally, the new Das Keyboard has an extra long USB cable that fits through your desk grommet and keeps your workspace neat and tidy.
It costs $129, so a bit more than some of my recent keyboards, but I look forward to a keyboard that makes a little clicking noise instead of muffled thunks. It also comes in a version with no markings on the keys — the Das Keyboard Ultimate, same price.

I will let you know how it is once I get it.

Old 07-18-2008, 11:35 AM   #2
iamback

I had a very nice ergonomic wireless keyboard which I absolutely loved - its only disadvantage was that it was rather big and took up a lot of desk space. Until it just stopped working.

Half a year earlier I'd bought a small laptop-size compact keyboard as a spare for only EUR 15. Its only disadvantage is that some letters are by now worn off (the most-used keys, of course: e, n, left shift, insert ad arrow-left are gone). No clickety-clack but it gives good tactile feedback and I can type fast (for me) on it. It even has some programmable extra buttons but I only use the volume and mute keys occasionally. I love how small and light it is, and how I can easily put it aside to make room for something else. My only regret is that I didn't buy more of these "spares"!

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 11:37 AM   #3
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback View Post
I had a very nice ergonomic wireless keyboard which I absolutely loved - its only disadvantage was that it was rather big and took up a lot of desk space. Until it just stopped working.

Half a year earlier I'd bought a small laptop-size compact keyboard as a spare for only EUR 15. Its only disadvantage is that some letters are by now worn off (the most-used keys, of course: e, n, left shift, insert ad arrow-left are gone). No clickety-clack but it gives good tactile feedback and I can type fast (for me) on it. It even has some programmable extra buttons but I only use the volume and mute keys occasionally. I love how small and light it is, and how I can easily put it aside to make room for something else. My only regret is that I didn't buy more of these "spares"!
Yeah, now that you know you really liked it! I only seem to order extras of things that are a bit disappointing in the end.

I was looking for a new keyboard; this one may be too clickety-clack — guess I will find out. But I like that it is black and has a steeper angle than the one I am using. At least I think I will like the angle …

Old 07-18-2008, 04:10 PM   #4
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

"The Buzz" on the keyboard is ... um ... kinda idiotic, no?

It has no markings. Huh?
You don't like markings, don't look at the keyboard.
Sheesh.

OTOH, I'll be interested to hear how the marked version feels, he says, klacketing away on his ancient Northgate Omnikey 101 keyboard ... one that has switches to tell it whether it's hooked to an IBM PC/XT or an IBM/AT type computer. By computer standards, this predates ancient and gives dirt a run for longevity.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 05:12 PM   #5
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg View Post
"The Buzz" on the keyboard is ... um ... kinda idiotic, no?

It has no markings. Huh?
You don't like markings, don't look at the keyboard.
Sheesh.

OTOH, I'll be interested to hear how the marked version feels, he says, klacketing away on his ancient Northgate Omnikey 101 keyboard ... one that has switches to tell it whether it's hooked to an IBM PC/XT or an IBM/AT type computer. By computer standards, this predates ancient and gives dirt a run for longevity.
No, the one I got has markings. Not sure what the unmarked keyboard has to do with (maybe some arcane stuff?).

I was seduced by three aspects: black (not white, not transparent); the slope (not flat, not slender); and the clickety-clackness.

We shall see if I am pleased.

Old 07-19-2008, 04:41 AM   #6
dthomsen8

My black IBM keyboard does have a very small clickety-clack sound, and it has feet to make it slope (or not), and I don't remember what I paid for it, years ago. It is hefty, compared with modern cheap ones that come with computers, but I like it.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 06:27 AM   #7
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthomsen8 View Post
It is hefty, compared with modern cheap ones that come with computers, but I like it.
I used to think the same way, but actually I had just gotten used to one particular old style keyboard. I kept spare ones in storage for back-up. Then, I just decided to try something new, and after a few days, I was amazed. The new thing was so much nicer, that I had to throw out all those hefty ones. And I really like the wide keys in my new choice of design. So how many people really have those little fingers?? Always trying new things does go somewhere, and as that actually is what everyone does, those who don't fall behind.

George
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 06:30 AM   #8
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthomsen8 View Post
My black IBM keyboard does have a very small clickety-clack sound, and it has feet to make it slope (or not), and I don't remember what I paid for it, years ago. It is hefty, compared with modern cheap ones that come with computers, but I like it.
I remember those keyboards. IBM made good ones. I believe they were modeled on the Selectric typewriter keyboards, which I loved.

We’ll see if this new one lives up to the hype.

Old 07-19-2008, 07:32 AM   #9
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Seriously, I *would* like to hear what you think of it. I'll be next in line to buy one if you like it.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 08:16 AM   #10
Franca
Staff

I think mine is similar - black, hefty, with feet - only it is branded Dell.

Franca is offline   Reply With Quote