DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 12-17-2005, 10:58 AM   #1
Andrew B.
Staff

Default Windows XP

I'm running Windows 2000. I originally picked it over XP because it seemed to be more stable. That was a few years ago. Since then, XP has received an update. I'm wondering if people here are using XP and if it is now equal or better than Win 2000.
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 12:18 PM   #2
Bo Aakerstrom

Hi Andrew.

I'm using XP Pro and have no problems with stability. Haven't encountered the home version so I can't comment on it.

From my days of servicing PCs for a major service provider I'd say XP is at least as stable as Win 2000.

Even if one of the clients got the bright idea that they should upgrade all their workstations to Win 2000 (about 2000 of them...) in 2003. Some people just have to have the latest of everything!
Bo Aakerstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 07:19 PM   #3
Hugh Wyn Griffith

I went from WIN98 to WIN 2000 and now am at XP Pro. I have not had stability problems for a long time and XP is very good in recognizing and installing hardware and networks.

I don't think you would lose out by going to XP now but on the other hand you might want to wait on into next year, almost with us but say mid-year, and consider the XP 64bit version although to really benefit from it you would need new hardware -- and they'll have to develop 64-bit software to go with it. But I am seeing reports that XP64 handles 32bit programs faster than the present 32bit XP.

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 10:47 PM   #4
JVegVT

I've been using XP since a week after it came out back in 2001. It has been rock solid for me from Day One.
--Judy M.

Registered Linux User #397786
Being productive with VectorLinux 7 Standard
JVegVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 11:28 PM   #5
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew B.
I'm running Windows 2000. I originally picked it over XP because it seemed to be more stable. That was a few years ago. Since then, XP has received an update. I'm wondering if people here are using XP and if it is now equal or better than Win 2000.
I'd stay with Win2000 - I am. ;-) When I ordered Alan (my laptop) three years ago I specifically specified Win2000 instead of WinXP Pro that came with it as standard. It may be stable, but I hate MS' activation policy and I hate the Fisher-Price user interface, however much you redesign to to look like "classic" Windows. What's under the hood is only marginal improvements and not all changes are improvements in my view.

I need a new computer and this time I won't have a choice - I'm not looking forward to that; I'll probably resort to (temporarily) install Win2000 on it (illegal as long as I also keep it on Grace, but I may change that to Linux) and wait it out until Vista is released which at least looks a lot better. Win2000 is rock-solid, I don't need XP.

Do you have any specific reason to consider moving to XP? Something that won't run on Win2000 and requires it maybe?

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 09:19 AM   #6
Andrew B.
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback
Do you have any specific reason to consider moving to XP? Something that won't run on Win2000 and requires it maybe?
Windows 2000 adds an extra complication if I want to reinstall it. I don't remember exactly what is involved, but it has to do with Windows 2000 not working seamlessly with the newer computers, and some drivers being installed in a certain order at some specific point. It is all vague to me now, so I cannot give the details. I would like to simplify things, and not have to worry about remembering workarounds if I want to do a fresh OS install.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:53 AM   #7
Kelvyn
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew B.
it has to do with Windows 2000 not working seamlessly with the newer computers, and some drivers being installed in a certain order at some specific point.
XP is certainly an easier install and can automatically call MS to get latest drivers. I have two boxes running XP Home SP2, 3 with Win2K SP4 and a spare with XP SP1 (going to become a Linux box when time allows...) The XP machines are very stable and have been able to handle all the software and hardware addons I have thrown at it. Rollback has been a useful facility on my daughter's XP machine which is extensively used for gaming and messaging with friends!

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 04:49 PM   #8
Andrew B.
Staff

Thanks, Kelvyn. And thanks to everyone else who posted feedback. I side-tracked, and I'm just getting back to this.

FWIW, the latest Photoshop Elements refuses to install on Windows 2000. I wonder if other applications will be following this soon.
Old 01-05-2006, 05:15 PM   #9
terrie
Staff

Quote:
andrew: FWIW, the latest Photoshop Elements refuses to install on Windows 2000
What error did it give you--assuming it was an error.

I had problems with my attempt to install the CS2 suite...turned out to be a conflict with my intuos2. When I turned off the tablet load, the install worked...

Might try that...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 02:27 PM   #10
Andrew B.
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie
What error did it give you--assuming it was an error.
"Your system does not support the minimum operating system requirement. Photoshop Elements 4.0 will only install on Windows XP or Media Center Edition 2005 Operating Systems."