DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 10-19-2005, 04:00 PM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default Photoshop challenger from Apple?

Apple just announced a new product, Aperture: Designed for professional photographers ($499). Are they mad? Photoshop is queen, right?

Well, I do not know how well this will do. The printing industry is still strongly Mac-oriented. But photography? Who knows. Sounds interesting, regardless. (And who knows what could happen once Apple completes the move of the Mac to Intel hardware.)

According to the press release, Aperture is . . .
Designed from the ground up for professional photographers, Aperture provides everything you need for after the shoot, delivering the first all-in-one post-production tool for photographers. Featuring a RAW-focused workflow, Aperture makes RAW as easy as JPEG, letting you import, edit, catalog, organize, retouch, publish, and archive your images more effectively and efficiently than ever before. From capture to output, you work directly with your RAW files, never having to first convert them into another format before viewing, adjusting, organizing, or printing them.

And with the most powerful image processing in the world, Aperture is fast — whether you’re working with RAW, JPEG, or TIFF images. It supports the RAW formats from all leading digital camera manufacturers (including Canon and Nikon) and provides optimized support for such market leading cameras as the Canon EOS 1Ds Mark II, Canon EOS 20D, and Nikon D2x as well as the highly popular Canon Digital Rebel and Nikon D50. It also supports the Adobe DNG format.

Whether you’re a fashion, wedding, sports, portrait, fine art, commercial, or editorial photographer, Aperture’s color-managed workflow and flexible design tools will help you easily create stunning prints, customized contact sheets, elegant books, and web pages as beautiful as the images you capture.

Old 10-19-2005, 04:43 PM   #2
Andrew B.
Staff

So the rumors are turning out to be true. The other part is that Adobe is doing customer research to see how to compete with this. One of their ideas is to have two flavors of Photoshop, with one being for photographers and the other for designers.
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 05:26 PM   #3
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew B.
So the rumors are turning out to be true. The other part is that Adobe is doing customer research to see how to compete with this. One of their ideas is to have two flavors of Photoshop, with one being for photographers and the other for designers.
I have been rummaging through a bunch of old trade magazines from the early- to mid-90s, and seeing all the changes of that period in perspective.

So I guess it is not that odd to find that change still occurs. And since we have actually had a fairly stable few years, things may get interesting now.

Of course, “May you live in interesting times” is a well-known Chinese curse!

Old 10-19-2005, 08:31 PM   #4
Shane Stanley
Staff

It doesn't look like a Photoshop competitor to me; more like something that does some of the things Photoshop hasn't done in terms of workflow.

Shane
Shane Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 12:20 AM   #5
Kelvyn
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel
The printing industry is still strongly Mac-oriented. But photography?
Around here we have a lot of photgraphers, both professional and keen amateur. Not all use digital, there still being some traditionalists. A poll last year showed that none of them use Macs, and most use Photoshop although almost always in conjunction with one or more alternative image manipulating software.

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 06:14 AM   #6
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Stanley
It doesn't look like a Photoshop competitor to me; more like something that does some of the things Photoshop hasn't done in terms of workflow.
Sounds likely. This Publish article seems to agree with you.

Old 10-20-2005, 01:56 PM   #7
John Spragens

Yeah ... from what they show on the Web site, looks like a handy tool for a Mac-using wedding or party photographer who wants to produce albums quickly.

I'm curious who did the interface design. Reminds me in some vague way of the Kai Krause creations.

www.enigmaterial.com
John Spragens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 04:55 PM   #8
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Spragens
I'm curious who did the interface design. Reminds me in some vague way of the Kai Krause creations.
Oh, no! Not Kai Kause! <g>

A brilliant guy, but kind of esthetically challenged.

Old 10-21-2005, 07:27 AM   #9
Cristen Gillespie

It looks interesting, but I think it targets ACR or Phase One (?), not PS itself. Which is a good thing because I'm too old to learn a whole new PS by any other name. Not to mention too poor, what with needing a new computer and wanting a new camera. I'll limp along with PS while I figure out how to get the pictures in the first place, worry about workflow later... <BG>

Old 10-21-2005, 07:54 AM   #10
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvyn
Around here we have a lot of photgraphers, both professional and keen amateur. Not all use digital, there still being some traditionalists. A poll last year showed that none of them use Macs, and most use Photoshop although almost always in conjunction with one or more alternative image manipulating software.
Of the photographers I know who cater to the publishing market, most use Macs today (and all did a decade ago).

Of other sorts of photogs who have gotten into digital imagery for one thing or another, I’d say it splits about 65/35 PC/Mac.

Besides budget and availability, it usually depends on what else they do with the computer and who advised them as they were getting set up, I think. And it increasingly matters less and less as far as “the product” goes — it is more of a user preference sort of thing.