DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Design

Old 09-04-2009, 08:20 AM   #1
klok

Default InDesign - from process to spot

Is there any way in InDesign to change a process colour in document into a spot colour. I manage to do it only in opossite direction by usig ink manager or deleting the swatch.
klok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 01:19 PM   #2
Robin Springall

Location: Ealing Common, London W5, where I duplicate CDs and DVDs.

I don't think InDesign will convert a process colour to a Pantone spot colour automatically (I think this is what you're trying to do). If you know the Pantone number, then that's easy: you double-click the process swatch, then in the swatch options dialog box just change the colour type to spot and then the colour mode to whichever Pantone you want.

If you have a specific process colour in mind, I expect somebody here on the forum will be able to give you the nearest equivalent Pantone from the relevant book.

Old 09-05-2009, 01:11 AM   #3
Benwiggy

If the original Process colour has been defined in a Swatch, then you just tick the box in the swatch definition to turn it from process to spot.

(I presume by spot colour, that you mean a 5th printing plate, rather than simply a Pantone reference value.)
Benwiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:51 AM   #4
klok

Thank you for your answeres, but it still does not work for me...
I tried double clicking black color in swatches, but nothing happens. I also tried with ink manager but all options are greyed out.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:39 PM   #5
Howard Allen

You can't change the black swatch, but you can create a new swatch, then set the colour values, and set it to process (or spot). Or, if--for whatever reason--you want to start with the black swatch, just select the black swatch, then create a new swatch, and the black swatch will be duplicated, at which point you can do whatever you want with it.

OSX 10.10.5
Howard Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 02:24 AM   #6
Robin Springall

Perhaps tell us more what you're trying to do, then we can help you better.

As Howard said, the program won't let you change the four CMYK base colours, but you can easily create a new swatch colour from one of the Pantone libraries.

Old 09-11-2009, 01:21 PM   #7
klok

I will try to describe, but my written english is so poor, that I am little embaresed by it...
Sometimes I work with cmyk document that is made with only black colour and later on, the client wishes to change it into a some sort of green one. I know that I can use the same films, but just for the purpes of sending layout conformation PDF to my client, I must allways go to photoshop, and work my way there... so I wandered if there is an easyer/faster way in InDesigen...
Old 09-12-2009, 01:59 AM   #8
Robin Springall

Sounds like you just want to change the black to a Pantone ink so you can print in a different colour but using the same film. It's easy, and here's how:

- From the Window menu, turn on the Colour and the Swatches windows.
- Right-click the [Black] swatch, and choose New Colour Swatch.
- In the New Colour Swatch dialog box choose Spot colour type, then in the Colour Mode box choose whichever Pantone colour library you want to use (eg Pantone solid coated.)
- Choose the colour you want, then click the OK button to add it to the bottom of your list of swatches.

Old 09-12-2009, 11:32 AM   #9
klok

When I create a new color swatch, there is also an option to chose pantone number, but in color window dialog there are no other options - only the opacity slider. No OK butten as you wrote down... also there is no pantone list. Working in CS3. Thanks for your patience....
Old 09-12-2009, 12:25 PM   #10
terrie
Sysop

Quote:
klok When I create a new color swatch, there is also an option to chose pantone number, but in color window dialog there are no other options - only the opacity slider. No OK butten as you wrote down... also there is no pantone list. Working in CS3
I have never worked with this but I thought I'd try this--I'm pc based (WinXP), using InDesign 3.01...

In the Swatches window/palette--I think "palette" is a less confusing term--I could not right-click the Black swatch but I highlighted the Black swatch and then clicking on the Options arrow (top of the Swatch window/palette), I chose the "New Color Swatch" option

In the "New Color Swatch" window:

Color Type: I chose "Spot" from the drop down menu

Color Mode: The drop down menu had a list of Pantone options (among other options) and the option to load "Other Library". I chose "Pantone Solid Coated" and then a list of color samples displayed below allowing me to choose whichever one I wanted and the color code was filled in above the color samples when I chose a color. I then clicked on the ADD button (the new swatch was added in the Swatch window/palette) and then I clicked on the Done button.

If I wanted to edit the newly created swatch, I double-clicked on it in the Swatches window/palette and a new window opened allowing me to change the color I'd chosen.

I didn't do anything with the Color window/palette, only the Swatches window/palette...

Robin, does Klok really need to do anything with the Color window/palette or is all of this done only in the Swatches window/palette because as Klok mentioned, the Color window/palette only has an opacity slider?

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote