DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-28-2005, 04:47 AM   #1
imatt

As a long (ish) time user of CorelDraw and now a user of Ill CS2, I must say I always found CD more useable and straightforward than Illustrator pre CS.

CD is still easier to use in terms of things like editing points and gradients. However, the gap has narrowed a hell of a lot and I find Ill CS/CS2 a lot easier to handle. I'd put Ill up there with CD in terms of raw features though. And Ill hndles type better than CD in my view. more in line with a true DTP app.

Xara is a fun app which is very fast and resource light. I was tempted to go down the Xara road, but decided I still needed a heavyweight DTP app, hence Pagemaker and then the Adobe CS range.

I was also, several years ago, tempted by Canvas. However, the odd interface (though I'd have gotten used to it by now i guess), and the lack of a british based support centre a la Corel, MS and Adobe put me off. At the time, canvas was being touted as a jack of all trades, drawing, DTP and photo editing.

Whilst the drawing capabilities of canvas could compete with CorelDraw and Freehand, the DTP was weak compared to PageMaker or QuarkXpress. The fact that hardly anyone in Britain used it or even heard of it was another turn off as there were precoius few books on the program.
imatt is offline   Reply With Quote