DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-01-2008, 03:08 PM   #1
terrie
Sysop

Default Sometimes you get lucky...

Late yesterday evening as I was browsing a link from one of my mailing lists, I inadvertantly spilled coffee on my dsl modem...

Needless to say...I was totally freaked out, repeating no! no!!!!! no!!!! (and other unmentionable words) as I turned it off, shook it and then went running to get paper towels to dry it off...

I shut down my system, unplugging all the cords from the modem and drying it off as well as I could and then held my breath as I turned my system back on hoping against hope that all 3 lights on the modem would power up.

They did!!!

BUT...

When I tried to log into Compuserve via WinCim, I didn't get a connect...

I opened Netcape and typed in a url and got a message from Verizon (my dsl provider) about needed IE6...

Shut down Netscape, opened IE (ohhhhh ggggaaaggggg!!!) and typed in a url and got a Verizon page presenting me with a number of different options which is when I realized that basically, I'd somehow reset the dsl modem.

I wasn't sure which option to choose and decided on the one that mentioned a reset modem whereupon I was asked to allow an Active-X app to download.

With some trepidation, I let it proceed and about 10 minutes later I was back in business...

WHEW!!!

Note to self...move the modem away from the cup warmer...'-}}

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote