DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 01-01-2008, 04:11 AM   #1
kathys

Default QuarkXPress 7.1 (Mac) need to change to Windows

Hello everyone,

I have some files made in MAC QuarkXPress 7.1 and MAC Photoshop CS2 and I need them changed into Windows file format. Hopefully for either publisher, word, power point or front page.

Thank you, Kathy
kathys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 07:41 AM   #2
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathys View Post
I have some files made in MAC QuarkXPress 7.1 and MAC Photoshop CS2 and I need them changed into Windows file format. Hopefully for either publisher, word, power point or front page.
Hi, Kathy —

Your problem is mainly a misfit between the files and the software you listed, not platform. Mac QuarkXPress files can be opened in the Windows version of that program (and in Windows InDesign CS2 or 3 if you can get the XPress files converted to version 4.0).

But there is no way to magically convert an XPress file from any platform or version to a Word, Publisher, PowerPoint, or FrontPage file. Page layout files can sometimes be approximated or copied in Word or Publisher (depending on complexity and what you want to do with them), but not translated.

If you have access to XPress 7.1, you can export the text so these programs could read it, but then you would have to recreate the layout and design all over again.

If the Photoshop CS2 files are saved in .psd format (the native Photoshop format) you would need to have them re-saved in .tif or .jpeg. Then you may be able to use them in the Microsoft products you list. To edit the images, however, will require a color editing program. Corel has a popular one for Windows, and there are shareware programs as well.

Sorry not to have better news for you. What do you need to do with these files? Maybe there is another solution.

Old 01-01-2008, 09:26 AM   #3
kathys

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
Hi, Kathy —

Your problem is mainly a misfit between the files and the software you listed, not platform. Mac QuarkXPress files can be opened in the Windows version of that program (and in Windows InDesign CS2 or 3 if you can get the XPress files converted to version 4.0).

But there is no way to magically convert an XPress file from any platform or version to a Word, Publisher, PowerPoint, or FrontPage file. Page layout files can sometimes be approximated or copied in Word or Publisher (depending on complexity and what you want to do with them), but not translated.

If you have access to XPress 7.1, you can export the text so these programs could read it, but then you would have to recreate the layout and design all over again.

If the Photoshop CS2 files are saved in .psd format (the native Photoshop format) you would need to have them re-saved in .tif or .jpeg. Then you may be able to use them in the Microsoft products you list. To edit the images, however, will require a color editing program. Corel has a popular one for Windows, and there are shareware programs as well.

Sorry not to have better news for you. What do you need to do with these files? Maybe there is another solution.
The files were provided to me by a former graphic designer. They are very simple (letterhead, business card, etc..) The files include the fonts and graphics. The graphics are not a problem, but I don't know which fonts are used where to recreate the look & feel of them in a program I have. I guess what I need is someone to change them from QuarkXPress MAC to QuarkXPress Windows.
Old 01-01-2008, 10:30 AM   #4
Andrew B.
Staff

I think a problem in answering this is that Quark for Mac files are the same as the Quark for Windows files. And not knowing what software you are using, or where it is falling apart, it is hard to sort out what your problem is. For example, could it be that you are missing some fonts? Could it be the routine problems that happen when translating to a new program, regardless of platform?

OTOH, if you are convinced it is a Mac/Win problem, then why not download the trial version of Quark for Windows, open the documents there and see how they look. I'm assuming the demo allows loading of existing documents, but I can't guarantee it does.
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 02:31 PM   #5
kathys

Thanks for the suggestion. The website says the 30 day demo is fully functional. As soon as I get it downloaded I'll see if I can open it.
Old 01-01-2008, 02:33 PM   #6
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion. The website says the 30 day demo is fully functional. As soon as I get it downloaded I'll see if I can open it.
That was a brilliant idea — good thing Andrew thought of it (I sure didn’t! ).

Old 01-01-2008, 04:40 PM   #7
kathys

I was unable to download the demo copy from the website.
Old 01-01-2008, 05:42 PM   #8
Andrew B.
Staff

Quote:
I was unable to download the demo copy from the website.
Try emailing them and describe the download problem. They might have an alternate method.
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 11:48 AM   #9
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
The files were provided to me by a former graphic designer. They are very simple (letterhead, business card, etc..) The files include the fonts and graphics. The graphics are not a problem, but I don't know which fonts are used where to recreate the look & feel of them in a program I have. I guess what I need is someone to change them from QuarkXPress MAC to QuarkXPress Windows.
The easiest way to identify the fonts would be to ask the designer.

However, if the files are small, you could attach them here and some of us should be able to identify the fonts for you (at least the typeface name).

The images and fonts are not embedded in the files, by the way. QuarkXPress links to external images and may contain font-related data (kerning and tracking information) but not the fonts themselves.

You will need the original image files (the Photoshop files, probably) for printing. You will need to buy the fonts used in the files, or switch to fonts you already own.

Old 01-01-2008, 04:46 PM   #10
kathys

Here is the note I received with the disk. "Files created in QuarkXPress Version 7.1 on a MAC. All fonts are included on CD. Colors are Reflex Blue and PMS 220 Burgundy"

I want to make changes to the text (address, phone number, etc..) but am unable to since I can't open the files.

There is also a separate sub directory with the images (but since I supplied them I already have them on my computer).