DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > How to Use the Forum

Old 02-02-2005, 09:20 PM   #1
gary

Default Prev/Next walk across the page??

Using a trackball, I am inclined to position the cursor over the "Next" (message) button and work my way through a thread.

Low and behold I discover that Prev/Next walk across the page with each mouse click. In fact, alternating Prev/Next on a two-message thread keeps them moving further to the right.

Is there a specific reason for this behavior?

(Firefox 1.0 under SuSE 9.1 on a 1280x1024 display.)

Last edited by gary; 02-02-2005 at 09:47 PM.
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 09:43 PM   #2
Andrew B.
Staff

I don't understand what is happening with your display. When I try this, I move from one message to the next. I don't know what you mean by "across the page."
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 09:51 PM   #3
gary

I finally noticed that the horizontal scroll bar had appeared and the window was being re-centered on my screen causing the icons to shift slightly each time I clicked one. For some reason the "pane" in which the thread list is displayed grows wider than my screen.

I suspect there is a problem in the javascript. I have downloaded the three scripts and am taking a look at them.

(EDITED)
It's not an issue of a horizontal scroll bar. THIS thread exhibited the symptom without the presence of H-scroll. (Using another tab to examine the problem)

AHA! The pane under "Display Modes" starts out with a right border directly under the right border of the line containing D-M but the pane's right border creeps to the right with each click of the Prev or Next icon so that the thread listing pane is wider than the other panes on the page.
Old 02-02-2005, 11:43 PM   #4
Andrew B.
Staff

Could you attach a screen shot to this thread.

BTW, the too-wide panel issue crops up other places. And from time to time I see php mods posted for fixing one thing or another. I hope we can eventually find solutions for all of these things, and the other ones that are already on the list.
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 12:35 AM   #5
Franca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew B.

BTW, the too-wide panel issue crops up other places. And from time to time I see php mods posted for fixing one thing or another. I hope we can eventually find solutions for all of these things, and the other ones that are already on the list.
FWIW, I see this behavior, too. Funny I never noticed it before because I often use the Prev and Next buttons. With each click of either the Prev or Next button the thread pane grows wider while the other panes remain the same. Watch as you click and see if you can reproduce. I am also using Firefox, but with XP Pro SP2.

Franca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 01:12 AM   #6
Franca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew B.
Here 'tis. Before pressing the Prev/Next buttons, the panes all line up neatly. The attached is the "After" shot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ThreadPane.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	181.5 KB
ID:	13  

Franca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 06:50 PM   #7
gary

Interestingly enough this problem does not surface in the vBulletin community forum. (I was going to report the issue there, but since it doesn't happen there...)
Old 02-03-2005, 12:48 AM   #8
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary
Using a trackball, I am inclined to position the cursor over the "Next" (message) button and work my way through a thread.

Low and behold I discover that Prev/Next walk across the page with each mouse click. In fact, alternating Prev/Next on a two-message thread keeps them moving further to the right.

I don't often use Threaded mode, but I just tried it in Safari 1.2.4, and the buttons are rock solid. I'll try with Firefox 1.0 (Mac) and see what happens.

Old 02-03-2005, 12:57 AM   #9
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:

Interesting. In Firefox 1.0 and Mac OS X 10.3.7 with a fairly wide window, the buttons move to the right and then to the left and then to the right. My screen is also set to 1280x1024.

Anyone for a square-dance? <g>

What OS and platform are you using? This forum is fairly evenly-matched Windows and Mac OS, with some Linux people as well, so it's best to include this information when you're reporting anomalies. Which we encourage, btw. ;-)

Old 02-03-2005, 01:02 AM   #10
Harriet M

Quote:

It's rock solid on my IBM ThinkPad running Win2K and Netscape 7.1. Now I'll try Mozilla on this machine.

Ann (using an alter ego)
Harriet M is offline   Reply With Quote