DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Images

Old 03-29-2006, 08:15 PM   #1
rubberize

Default Converting Photos into detailed line art

Hi. I wasn't sure if to post this thread under photos or drawing...anyways,

I need to create detailed clean line art from my photos to make into rubber stamps. I've tried a tutorial that uses the filter/smart blur tool in photoshop cs2 but the result was very poor.

Any tips on the secrets of doing producing clean detailed line art from photos?
rubberize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 09:22 PM   #2
Andrew B.
Staff

The Stamp filter in Photoshop approximates a rubber stamp look. The Photocopy filter in Photoshop creates a line drawing. There are other techniques such as: copy background, desaturate copy, copy desaturated layer to new layer, invert, set to color dodge or linear dodge (whichever makes it pure white), then Gaussian Blur the top layer.

These are about as close as I've seen it get, but I would hardly call the results "clean and simple." Of course, a lot depends on your photo, and how much hand cleanup you can do afterward.
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 08:51 AM   #3
Robin Springall

Location: Ealing Common, London W5, where I duplicate CDs and DVDs.

From a Photoshop Elements mag article that I tore out ages ago...

1. First make sure your image has a good amount of contrast, then choose High Pass from the filter menu: you'll be left with a grey wash. Move the High Pass slider to get a good balance between outline and detail (they recommend 1 to 2), then click OK.

2. To get rid of the grey and bring out the pencil outline, go to Image, Adjustments, Threshold, and adjust the slider. Click OK.

I haven't tried it myself yet!
Robin Springall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 02:22 PM   #4
terrie
Staff

Quote:
rubberize: I need to create detailed clean line art from my photos to make into rubber stamps. I've tried a tutorial that uses the filter/smart blur tool in photoshop cs2 but the result was very poor.
It's been a very long time since I used Smart Blur.

When I tried it, it was based on a technique by Gregory Georges and unfortunately the web page he had describing the process is no longer available; however, I do have a bit of description with examples on one of my web pages:

"I used Photoshop's Smart Blur filter with the "edge only" option to create a 'sketch' (image on the left). The final Photoshop 'sketch' was on a transparent layer so that only the 'sketch' lines were visible, there was no white background."

If I'm remembering correclty, the Smart Blur process is not a quick one-step but it worked pretty well. I had to play with not only the appropriate settings for SB but also (again, if I'm remembering correctly) I ended up with a negative image and I had to then play with that to get what I wanted. I don't remember it taking me too long and I think once you got the hang of it, subsequent images wouldn't take long at all...

You might also take a look at his book "50 Fast Photoshop CS Techniques" at Amazon...after a quick look in the index via Amazon's web page, he does cover line drawings using Smart Blur...

Hope this helps...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 06:24 PM   #5
rubberize

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will try them all right now and see which one works best for me and I'll let you guys know.

Thanks alot!

Stacey
rubberize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 07:15 AM   #6
jvecht

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberize
Hi. I wasn't sure if to post this thread under photos or drawing...anyways,

I need to create detailed clean line art from my photos to make into rubber stamps. I've tried a tutorial that uses the filter/smart blur tool in photoshop cs2 but the result was very poor.

Any tips on the secrets of doing producing clean detailed line art from photos?
Hi Stacey,

I am just an amateur, but as such I would take Inkscape (Inkscape.org) and use the tracing tool included (Path | Trace bitmap) , then repeatedly hit Path | Simplify until I like what I see.

(checking the thread drift detection system of this Forum : have a look at this for a nice suggestion what you can do with such tools)

LATER: see the avatar I made on the left. My second try in this technique. The chin is not very well done, for the rest I am slowly mastering the art - and Inkscape. Big fun to do!

My Blog and more

Last edited by jvecht; 04-11-2006 at 03:40 AM.
jvecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 08:53 AM   #7
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvecht
(checking the thread drift detection system of this Forum : have a look at this for a nice suggestion what you can do with such tools)
yourself! Nice page — useful semi-on-target advice. Can’t ask for better than that!

Old 03-31-2006, 12:49 PM   #8
terrie
Staff

Quote:
stacey: I'll let you guys know.
Cool...I'd love to see what you come up with...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 05:23 AM   #9
dthomsen8

Default Inkscape output formats

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvecht
Hi Stacey,

I am just an amateur, but as such I would take Inkscape (Inkscape.org) and use the tracing tool included (Path | Trace bitmap) , then repeatedly hit Path | Simplify until I like what I see.

Inkscape is a fascinating tool, and the price is right, but there is the issue of output formats. I read the pages about formats in and out, and I don't quite see how one arrives at any of the three acceptable web image formats, GIF, JPG, or PNG.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 05:48 AM   #10
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthomsen8
Inkscape is a fascinating tool, and the price is right, but there is the issue of output formats. I read the pages about formats in and out, and I don't quite see how one arrives at any of the three acceptable web image formats, GIF, JPG, or PNG.
The task was to convert a photo into line art — that is, vectors, not pixels. Ordinary art for the web is always bit-mapped (i.e., pixels).

So in this case, to use the converted artwork on the web, you would have to take a screen shot or rasterize it in Photoshop or similar app (or use Save for Web in Illustrator, if you use that).

If your main purpose of the exercise was to use the image on the web, you probably wouldn’t use a vector-creating utility to begin with. There are Photoshop plugins and filters for simplifying photos — the vector step would be more work than necessary. (Unless, of course, you wanted a real linear effect, like a pen-and-ink drawing — then it might be worth it.)