DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 01-16-2006, 08:30 AM   #1
Andrew B.
Staff

Default Free Kodak Plugin

Kodak is offering vouchers for a free copy one of its standard plugins and a 25% discount for one of its pro plugins. The offer is open until January 31, 2006. To qualify, you must answer a questionnaire. The process begins here: http://www.kodak.com/go/ADC2005/. If you want to learn more about Kodak plugins, you can learn about them here: http://www.asf.com/. Kodak offers versions for PC and Mac.

BTW, in case anyone is thinking that you must buy the discount plugin to get the free one, that does not appear to be the case. I have the voucher and it looks like I can get one or the other or both.

Last edited by Andrew B.; 01-16-2006 at 10:00 AM.
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 10:25 AM   #2
Cristen Gillespie

Well, 50% off Digital SHO Pro would do it, since I'd be interested in their highlight recovery, but 25% off just isn't enough to make me splurge. It's a great offer if you don't have tools with your scanner or the latest version of PS, and don't intend to have the latest version for some time to come.

Old 01-16-2006, 06:12 PM   #3
Andrew B.
Staff

Why don't you test drive the regular version of SHO and see if it suits you.
Old 01-17-2006, 08:25 AM   #4
Cristen Gillespie

I did test drive their earlier version of SHO regular, but it's the Highlight recovery that I'd pay for and their site says that's only the Pro version. I might still test drive their Pro version just to see if it's really unbeatable. If it is, I may say that 25% off is better than nothing off<G> I'd better make my move quickly, though.

Old 01-17-2006, 10:42 AM   #5
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristen Gillespie
(...) it's the Highlight recovery that I'd pay for and their site says that's only the Pro version. I might still test drive their Pro version just to see if it's really unbeatable. If it is, I may say that 25% off is better than nothing off
That's what I was thinking, too (although I could do with the functionality of just the regular shadow details enhancement as well). I'm definitely going to play with these and get my money's worth (or no money's worth for just a free plugin).

I wonder though ... if I do a scan of an overexposed negative and then make it a negative again - could I use the shadow recovery on that? Hmmm. But I have more (deliberately) underexposed negatives; but the scanner could (at least partly) help with those as well.

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 05:56 PM   #6
Andrew B.
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristen Gillespie
I did test drive their earlier version of SHO regular, but it's the Highlight recovery that I'd pay for and their site says that's only the Pro version.
Well, to complicate this even more, LightMachine is probably next on the PhotoWiz list for a Mac version. Not to mention Photoshop's tool for this.

Quote:
I'd better make my move quickly, though.
You have to get the voucher before the end of January, but you don't have to specify which plugin until you redeem it. The deadline for redeeming is end of February.
Old 01-18-2006, 12:49 AM   #7
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew B.
You have to get the voucher before the end of January, but you don't have to specify which plugin until you redeem it. The deadline for redeeming is end of February.
I have the voucher... but need to test. I'm being told these filters do nothing that Paint Shop Pro can't do itself, but I'll need to see that - technically, and time-wise.

Old 01-18-2006, 09:06 AM   #8
Andrew B.
Staff

Yes, testing is the only way. I should also add that I only posted this announcement as a public service, and because I know some people who like Kodak plugins. My opinion of them is not so high.

In my testing:

ROC is one of the worst color correctors out there. It did, however, fix one photo in my set of test images that nothing else could help.

SHO works. LightMachine works better. SHO is easier to use. But so is Shadow Illuminator. I just don't know which is better between SHO and Shadow Illuminator. Maybe I should test this.

GEM seems to have a unique way to deal with noise, and I know some people who use it. But it is not my choice for noise reduction.

GEM Airbrush Pro is an interesting tool. But it tends to even out color too much, which can give an unreal look. Kodak provides an action to work around this, but that is not an interactive way to adjust the result.

...Andrew
Old 01-18-2006, 09:35 AM   #9
iamback

Quote:
In my testing:
(...)
SHO works. LightMachine works better. SHO is easier to use. But so is Shadow Illuminator. I just don't know which is better between SHO and Shadow Illuminator. Maybe I should test this.
Did you look at SHO standard or Pro? And do you have a reference for LightMachine and Shadow Illuminator?

Quote:
GEM seems to have a unique way to deal with noise, and I know some people who use it. But it is not my choice for noise reduction.
I'd have to pitch that against PSP's noise reduction which so far I like very much (powerful, and fine control) - but I don't have experience with other tools for noise reduction yet.

Quote:
GEM Airbrush Pro is an interesting tool. But it tends to even out color too much, which can give an unreal look. Kodak provides an action to work around this, but that is not an interactive way to adjust the result.
Interesting, because I thought the example images on the site looked a tad unnatural. But you could always work on a duplicated layer and blend, I guess.

Old 01-18-2006, 06:49 PM   #10
Andrew B.
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback
Did you look at SHO standard or Pro? And do you have a reference for LightMachine and Shadow Illuminator?
I tested both, but the standard version was tested a long time ago. And here the links for Light Machine and Shadow Illuminator. The Shadow Illuminator plugin site seems to be down right now. But here is a free Web-based version.

Quote:
I'd have to pitch that against PSP's noise reduction which so far I like very much (powerful, and fine control) - but I don't have experience with other tools for noise reduction yet.
I tried PSP's noise reduction on a few images, and I kept getting some diagonal noise artifacts in some parts of the test images. I never did figure out how to overcome this. But I didn't have the demo version for very long.

If you want to get an idea of some noise reduction tools, you can check out the Michael Almond noise reduction comparisons.

Quote:
But you could always work on a duplicated layer and blend, I guess.
If I were determined to use Airbrush Pro, I would probably only use it when it is too difficult to simply run median on a second layer and blend it in. These would be situation where there is complex detail to protect. But I might still use a median (or Gaussian) layer and blend it into parts of the Airbrush Pro layer.

...Andrew