DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > The Corner Pub

Old 12-19-2007, 04:29 PM   #1
Robin Springall

Location: Ealing Common, London W5, where I duplicate CDs and DVDs.
Default It's just not fair

I'm not particularly a moaning type of chap but...

We're booked solid: over-booked, actually, now that I've taken on a mastering job for Friday (she sounded particularly sweet, and I couldn't resist her) Never mind, my engineer can bash on with the other orders!

The 10,000 rush CD job is in serious danger of being late because some bozo at the factory stuck a grubby finger mark on the stamper, so we have to get another one made. The replacement should have been in yesterday, but still hadn't turned up by end of play today.

Our main duplicating machine died at 7pm. I fixed it, sort of, by around 10:30, but it's really only limping along. Then the second machine's motherboard went - aargh! Old faithful machine no 3 is working all night, but it's slow and we might have to manually print 1,700 discs over the next couple of days. By "we" of course I mean Pete, as I'm fixing artwork most of tomorrow, and locked away in the mastering room with Miss Sounds-Like-Serious-Crumpet on Friday.

No, I'm bloody well not staying late tomorrow (final curry of 2007 with best mate), nor Friday (drinks party at home, so boss would KILL me if I didn't show up). I've got Mother arriving on Saturday, so there's a good 48 hours of being constantly ticked off without the option (eg "When are you going to grow up and get a proper job then like your brother?")

Tried very hard not to have an argument with a printer bloke this afternoon: he's designed some artwork, and is miffed because the client wants us to print it using our lovely lady printer. So he messes up the artwork of course - out of spite or incompetence, I know not, but I do know that a white object set to overprint will absolutely, definitely disappear completely! He said he can print it, so why can't my Sharon? "Because it's wrong, you twat" is what I wanted to say, but I ended up telling him to turn on Show Overprinting - duh!

Just got home around midnight, what with faffing about with duplicating machines. The log fire is still in, kids are up and finishing decorating the tree: it's a picture of domestic bliss. I'm trying to face up to the fact that I'm probably going to have to come into the studio on Christmas eve, on my own, after we've closed, and you know what? It's just not fair!

Last edited by Robin Springall; 12-19-2007 at 04:44 PM. Reason: Corrected apostrophe (hanging offence)
Robin Springall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 05:18 PM   #2
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

One question: What kind of job does your brother have?

Really: Sorry you have to go through all that. Hope it works out for you and you and your family have a wonderful Christmas!

Old 12-20-2007, 02:23 AM   #3
Kelvyn
Staff

Sounds fairly standard for the before Christmas rush. Everybody and their dog wants a new website or an update before Xmas - as if the world ends on that day!

I'm in trouble from the boss, too. For the last 20 years I have almost always worked through Xmas, except for the 25th itself. This year she has planned for us to spend a week through the "holiday" period with her cousin - all good fun, but I now have a rush job for completion before the boxing day sales start........

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 03:03 PM   #4
terrie
Sysop

Robin you have allll my sympathies!!! I hope everything gets sorted out, you don't have to work Christmas eve and your mother behaves herself...'-}}

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 03:26 PM   #5
Robin Springall

Thanks. But now it's worse!

We printed a job last week, and the clients are cross. Their file looked OK but wouldn't separate (Usual problem, Frustrator not liking white objects with spot colours). I fixed it and they approved the proof: the main logo was white reversed through a Pantone background, exactly like on their file, but when they got the finished job they went apoplectic: apparently it was supposed to be a Pantone logo on a white background. Duh!

OK, so because it's for a mental health charity, I arranged for the job to be reprinted at less than cost, but they were still huffing and moaning all the time. I thought I was doing them a massive favour, but apparently no. Honestly, what do these people want: blood?

Old 12-20-2007, 03:34 PM   #6
terrie
Sysop

Quote:
robin: Honestly, what do these people want: blood?
But of course! And they want yours...'-}}

Perhaps they need a little prozac...'-}}

Terrie
Old 12-21-2007, 09:38 AM   #7
Cristen Gillespie

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
But of course! And they want yours...'-}}

Perhaps they need a little prozac...'-}}

Terrie
And what Robin needs is a few untrammeled hours in a pub. Do people honestly think we should want to work and make a difference in this world? '-}

Old 12-21-2007, 12:33 PM   #8
terrie
Sysop

Quote:
cristen: And what Robin needs is a few untrammeled hours in a pub.
That's the ticket!!!

>>Do people honestly think we should want to work and make a difference in this world? '-}

ROFL!!!

Terrie
Old 12-22-2007, 03:05 AM   #9
Robin Springall

Actually, what Robin needed most of all last night was a nice long night wrapped in the arms of his missus

Old 12-22-2007, 11:48 AM   #10
Cristen Gillespie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Springall View Post
Actually, what Robin needed most of all last night was a nice long night wrapped in the arms of his missus
Sounds like this forum's turning 21<BG>