DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Site Building & Maintenance

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-19-2005, 08:56 AM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default CSS 4-cols two ways

The other day when I complained that I couldn’t seem to get a 4-column liquid layout to work, Kelvyn referred me to an article on creating 4-column layouts at the glish.com site. so I decided to give it a try.

Glish suggests using absolute positioning, and once I got the widths and percentages to add up, it worked fine, as you can see from the positioned example here. But the format is very limited, especially for text pages.

The main problem is that you cannot easily have a footer or any other object below the text columns. Well, you can, but you must declare its absolute top, and since you have no way to be certain how viewers will have their browser window and font sizes set, you have to allow a lot of extra space in case the upper text overruns the lower. It is at best a homely thing.

The funny thing, though, is then I decided to use the identical HTML and create a liquid layout with float (the very thing I could not for the life of me do the other day), and it too worked fine (see the floating example here).

Perhaps it is the simplicity of this test page that allowed it to work. With more elements and more CSS stuff, the floats might fall apart as they always have for me in the past. But I am grateful to have gotten a bit further with this, and hope maybe it might help others who struggle with CSS pages.

If you are not familiar with the Glish site, it offers good advice on CSS, including a bunch of links (some of them oldish) to other CSS-oriented sites. One of these is a useful tutorial at the Web Reference site on using CSS to recreate a 3-column table-built layout with CSS.