DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Design

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-02-2006, 10:23 AM   #1
Jeece

Default Linked DCS files transparency in InDesign

Hi all,
I often have to link DCS (multichannel EPS) files into InDesign CS2. All unused space of the file turns into opaque white in my link box, and it's frustrating and very limiting. I just can't use this link over a colored/textured background!

I've tried ID's transparency features, the white does disappears, but the colored parts of the link lighten and let the background show through them... When grouping the link with the background and setting the Knockout group option in the transparency palette, the white reappears.

Usually the transparency set to Multiply hides the white part and doesn't mess much with the linked colors, providing they're dark ones. But I'd really like to keep the original colors, or something very close to them.

I could make a custom picture-box contour with the bézier curves to mask out the white, but on some links that would prove to be heavily time-consuming or near impossible without going crazy. Or create a white mask that has the exact same shape as the link's picture, paste it behind the link and then use transparency on the link... Then again, not always practical. But I've thought about it.

Maybe I could separate the colors of my DCS file, turn 'em to B&W TIFFs, paste 'em one above each other in ID and then assigning their colors?

Anyone knows if there's an hidden setting for this to work? Or is there something wrong in my workflow?

Of course I signed the proof, I just didn't proofread it. Don't you do that there?
Jeece is offline   Reply With Quote