DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Business Matters

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-20-2017, 05:03 PM   #1
Ronald

Default Questions about Business Cards, Self Promotion

So I decided I should develop a business card, partly for freelance promotion, because I feel silly when someone asks for a card and I have nothing, but also perhaps to hand over after a job interview. I have a few ideas that I wanted to put out there for feedback.

1.) I'm not entirely sure what skill(s) I should highlight on my card (Illustration, Graphic Design, Photography). I'm considering making two or even three card variations that emphasize different skills (one that's purely illustration, another that's design/illustration/photography, and perhaps a "multimedia art" card that also references my background in animation and video editing as part of a broad gamut of skills. Perhaps I could setup the print file to have rows of three different cards, then print, trim, and just use whichever one I need for the right occasion.

2.) Would offering my business card at the end of an interview help or hurt my chances? Although it may seem redundant since they have my resume, I would think handing a professional, attractive card to the interviewer would leave a good final impression and help me stand out.

3.) With the development of a card, I'm also considering developing a portfolio introduction and website that would stylistically tie in. Could anyone suggest some good, free options for website development? I have some fundamental understanding of HTML/CSS but have yet to work with WordPress; although, I assume it's not too difficult.

Thank you.
Ronald is offline   Reply With Quote