DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Old 04-09-2019, 05:56 PM   #1
Andrew B.
Staff

Default Canon Maxify MB2720 inkjet print/fax/scan

gMy HP OfficeJet 5740 is three years old and the document feeder is ailing. I was sitting there wondering where to get it fixed but a friend had a Canon Maxify MB2720 sitting around so he brought it over and said I can have it. I can't test it yet because the black ink tank is empty. But after that arrives, I can.

Anyway, I've read some reviews and I have no real questions unless you own one of these, in which case "do you like it."

Old 04-10-2019, 04:16 PM   #2
terrie
Staff

I didn't know Canon made AIO's but I guess it's not surprising. I've never used a Canon printer (I have a Canon DSLR) so I'm most interested in what you think so do post back when you get the new inkcart and have a chance to set it up...

I've been doing data entry in QuickBooks Pro for my sister for the last couple of days and I finished the entry an hour or so ago so I need to go make myself some dinner and unwind--data entry in QBP (which I loathe!) on a laptop makes for cramped fingers...'-}}

When I've recovered I'll regale you with my sister's experience with her Brother AIO's doc feeder...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 03:42 AM   #3
Bo Aakerstrom

"When I've recovered I'll regale you with my sister's experience with her Brother AIO's doc feeder..."

Looking forward to that!

In the meantime; my wife has a Canon AIO which is a cheaper one, and it is fine for basic printing as well as relatively cheap to run. I say relatively as printer ink is one of the most expensive substances on earth.

See here if you don't believe me!

Old 04-11-2019, 03:22 PM   #4
terrie
Staff

Quote:
bo: "When I've recovered I'll regale you with my sister's experience with her Brother AIO's doc feeder..."
First...she never mentioned that she was having problems with the document feeder on her Brother AIO (a MFCJ410W) so we could have tried to see if cleaning the rollers (a little alcohol on q-tips) might have fixed the issue.

So, instead of consulting with her tech support, she went out and willy-nilly bought an HP AIO because it was on sale for under $100 (just under) and then, she expects ME! to do the setup for her...

This...

Makes.

Me.

Crazy.

I have to keep telling myself that it's her money and if she wants to throw it away, I can't do anything about it but be pissed off and grumpy when I have to install the damned thing--I can't remember the model number on the HP--which was really, really an annoying process since it required playing with the settings using the teeny-tiny LCD screen on the printer.

UGH!!! It was really annoying...'-}}

If my sister had asked me first, I would have suggested that she buy a dedicated document scanner and she would have spent perhaps an extra $100 for it but I think in the end, it would have been better. That said, my sister is pleased with the HP AIO and since she's the one who has to use it, I guess I'll have to get over my pique...'-}}

With respect to inkjet carts...

Why do you think I bought my Epson 4000 with 110ml inkjet carts...'-}}

Terrie
Old 04-11-2019, 03:46 PM   #5
Bo Aakerstrom

"Consulting with her tech support" - Am I right in thinking that would be you?

"...bought an HP AIO because it was on sale for under $100" - I've learnt to not buy the cheapest printers/scanners/AIOs. Better to spend a bit more and get something that will last longer and print and scan better.

I've got a HP Photosmart AIO and it is super fiddly to set up. Might be a HP thing.

In fact much easier to get working properly on Linux using Open Source software than on Windows using the supplied software.

Recently got a Brother A3 AIO, which is much easier to set up and has an excellent scanner to boot.

If we were to print a lot I would have got something more economical, but as it is we are scanning more than printing at home (mostly artwork and textile samples (with is my wife's work) rather than something that can go through a document feeder), and get most of the printing done elsewhere.

Old 04-12-2019, 12:31 PM   #6
terrie
Staff

Quote:
bo: Am I right in thinking that would be you?
Oh yeah! and...I should have made that clearer...'-}}

>>Might be a HP thing.

I think it is...it was REALLY an annoying setup process. One of the major issues for me was the total lack of any sort of proper documentation on installing the printer. I was just appalled at how little information there was but, then, I'm pretty picky about that kind of stuff since I actually do RTFM...'-}}

>>Recently got a Brother A3 AIO, which is much easier to set up and has an excellent scanner to boot.

I had always been an HP printer person--primarily their laserjets--and always recomended them but about 5-6 years ago, my sister's (same one) inkjet printer died (I think it might have been a lexmark). She really wanted an AIO but I said, let's just get an inexpensive printer now so you will have something and I'll research AIO's for you. On our way out the door (she rents a condo in the building next to my condo building) we ran into a neighbor who suggested we go to Office Depot because they often ran unadvertised sales so...off to Office Depot we went...

We were wandering the printer aisle when we came up on the cutest little printer--it really was cute--which turned out to be a Brother AIO and was on sale for $60. I told my sister that even if it only lasted a year, it was worth the cost so she bought it. Other than the document feed issue, it's still going strong.

I had been very unhappy with HP's Win7 drivers for my HP2200D because it wouldn't allow me to print on user-defined paper sizes which is something I do with enough regularity that everytime I had to use the workaround I had figured out, I would get pissed off all over again. After 3-4 years of this I finally decided that maybe I should get a new printer.

At the time, HP's website purely sucked (it's not much better now) because they were in the midst of the corporate split. At any rate, it was impossible to research the newer HP laserjets so I thought, well...let me look at what Brother has to offer and discovered that they have a number of monochrome laserjet models. I ended up buying a Brother 5470DW monochrome laser printer and on the whole, I've been pleased with it enough that I now recommend looking at what Brother has to offer in the way of whatever printer anyone is looking for.

Much less aggravation all the way 'round...'-}}

While my sister's experience with AIO's has been better than I expected, I genearlly prefer dedicated devices so if one craps out, the other bits are still working since nothing is part of one combo device. I think that my approach is driven by the fact that all those bits and pieces in an AIO used to be pretty expensive and were onlly sold as individual devices so you saved up for one device (say, your monochrome printer) and then saved up for the next device (the scanner) and then lastly you saved up for a longer time for a pro/prosumer level color inkjet printer like my Epson 4000 which I use to print my artwork.

Somehow AIO's seem like cheating...'-}}

Terrie
Old 04-13-2019, 08:16 AM   #7
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

>> super fiddly to set up. Might be a HP thing.

Some of the HP stuff certainly is. Some are fairly straightforward. I wonder if there are different teams writing the software and installers for each of these (with no central supervision).

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 12:06 PM   #8
terrie
Staff

Quote:
steve: I wonder if there are different teams writing the software and installers for each of these (with no central supervision).
That would actually explain quite a lot...'-}}

Terrie