DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Site Building & Maintenance

Old 04-07-2006, 06:31 AM   #1
Tim Lodge

Default phpdev

Hi all

I haven't dropped in for a while - I hope you're all well.

Is anyone here still using phpdev, the PHP/MySQL/Apache bundle for local development on Win 32 machines? I think Kelvyn recommended it to me ages ago, and I never did anything about it. I've now got a project for which I want to use it, but I'm a bit worried that there doesn't seem to be any support - their forum hasn't got any postings after 31st December 2004.

Does anyone know what's going on at Firepages.com.au?

Tim

Tim Lodge

Tim Lodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 11:07 AM   #2
Kelvyn
Staff

Tim, phpDev is still used by a lot of people who have updated the various components as time has gone on, often to match the php/MySQL versions available on the server for which they are testing. There are other alternatives now for people who don't know how to install Apache etc, such as phpTriad, now sold as Sokkit, or XAMPP

Because most of my php development these days revolves around using Joomla and its components I now use JSAS which has Joomla pre-installed as well as the required php, MySQL, phpMyAdmn etc, and the ability to use it to develop/test other php apps using its MyJSAS feature.

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Last edited by ktinkel; 04-08-2006 at 04:03 AM. Reason: fixed broken link
Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 02:40 AM   #3
dthomsen8

Default XAMPP Link?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvyn
Tim, phpDev is still used by a lot of people who have updated the various components as time has gone on, often to match the php/MySQL versions available on the server for which they are testing. There are other alternatives now for people who don't know how to install Apache etc, such as phpTriad, now sold as Sokkit, or XAMPP

Because most of my php development these days revolves around using Joomla and its components I now use JSAS which has Joomla pre-installed as well as the required php, MySQL, phpMyAdmn etc, and the ability to use it to develop/test other php apps using its MyJSAS feature.
Your XAMPP link is rejected by Firefox as an invalid protocol.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 03:06 AM   #4
Bo Aakerstrom

It should begin with http://

There is just an h missing.

Old 04-08-2006, 12:02 PM   #5
Tim Lodge

Kelvyn

Many thanks for your reply. Both XAMPP and Joomla/JSAS look very promising - at least the support for both seems to be a lot more up to date than that for phpdev.

Are you saying that you can use JSAS to develop and test applications in PHP/MySQL even though you may not be using Joomla to manage content? If so, that might be the way to go, as the content management side might be very useful in the future. The benefit of XAMPP seems to be that you can install it and uninstall it very easily.

I've developed one system in ASP, so I need to be able to run both IIS and Apache. Both JSAS and XAMPP seem to be able to handle that, provided you specify that the Apache server is on port 8080.

My other small worry is that I'm planning to switch from Norton Anti-Virus to NOD32 (http://www.nod32uk.com/products/products.htm), and the NOD32 documentation says you may have to to recompile the Apache's library libapr.dll with WAIT_FOR_EVENT preprocessor definition defined. That's gobbledegook to me at the moment, but I dare say it's not as intimidating as it sounds!

BTW, is Joomla a development of Mambo?

Tim

Tim Lodge

Old 04-08-2006, 12:10 PM   #6
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Lodge
BTW, is Joomla a development of Mambo?
You can read all about the Mambo/Joomla connection in this thread from a few months ago.

It’s sort of like Mozilla and Firefox. Sorta!

Old 04-09-2006, 12:49 AM   #7
Tim Lodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel
You can read all about the Mambo/Joomla connection in this thread from a few months ago.
Thanks, Kathleen.

Tim

Tim Lodge

Old 04-08-2006, 12:55 PM   #8
Kelvyn
Staff

Tim

Yes, you can use JSAS for development of any php/xhtml site. The software does not install, except at runtime, where it creates its own virtual drive, and runs on that. You can run it from a USB pen drive, so it can be transported between Windoze machines - handy for client demonstrations & training in the developed site software.

Joomla! is a fork of Mambo, which came about because Miro, the commercial owners of Mambo suddenly introduced restrictions on development which really meant that 3rd party developers could only contribute under contract. Mambo still goes on and has a committed following, but almost all the original lead developers and contributors followed the Joomla fork. Joomla is totally free of commercial restraint and has commanded a lot of respect. The code is undergoing a large rewrite at the moment, and will move further away from its Mambo roots and become a real challenger in the commercial CMS world, while remaining free and open source.

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 12:58 AM   #9
Tim Lodge

Kelvyn

I read and replied to Marjolein's message first, and was leaning towards XAMPP, but your mention of running JSAS on a pen drive is very attractive, although I suspect you could do that with XAMPP too, if you took the non-install option. Decisions, decisions! At least now there's some pressure on me to make one, as I need to do the data entry forms for a part-completed preoject, which would be much easier with Dreamweaver and a local server.

Tim

Tim Lodge

Old 04-10-2006, 05:37 AM   #10
dthomsen8

Default Documentation for Joomla!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvyn
Tim

Yes, you can use JSAS for development of any php/xhtml site. The software does not install, except at runtime, where it creates its own virtual drive, and runs on that. You can run it from a USB pen drive, so it can be transported between Windoze machines - handy for client demonstrations & training in the developed site software.

Joomla! is a fork of Mambo, which came about because Miro, the commercial owners of Mambo suddenly introduced restrictions on development which really meant that 3rd party developers could only contribute under contract. Mambo still goes on and has a committed following, but almost all the original lead developers and contributors followed the Joomla fork. Joomla is totally free of commercial restraint and has commanded a lot of respect. The code is undergoing a large rewrite at the moment, and will move further away from its Mambo roots and become a real challenger in the commercial CMS world, while remaining free and open source.
I tried Mambo two years ago, and found the lack of documentation a major stumbling block. I finally gave up on it. How is the documentation for Joomla?
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote