DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Production & Automation

Old 08-14-2015, 03:38 PM   #1
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea
Default Is the trade paperback dying?

This morning I received notification from my library that they'd ordered the latest Michael Connelly title, The crossing, and after placing a reservation, I went to the Michael Connelly site to read about it. This is what I found there:
The Crossing will be released on October 22 in the UK, Ireland, Australia and New Zealand and on November 3 in the USA and Canada. It will be available in hardback, eBook, audio, and trade paperback (Aus/NZ only) formats.
Have those of you in the US and Europe noticed this in bookshops and libraries? I like the format, because it has the comfortable layout of the hardback with reduced weight, which makes it easier to read in bed. And when I'm loaded up with several reservations from the library, it reduces the weight of the overall load on the walk home.

Old 08-14-2015, 05:21 PM   #2
Mac Townsend

dunno the answer. But it seems the majority of new titles I see piled on the table at Costco are in the "deluxe" "perfect-bound" with "real paper" category and costing US$10-12.
Mac Townsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 07:19 PM   #3
terrie
Staff

First...what is the difference between "trade paperback" and "mass market paperback"? I think "trade paperback" is usually a bit nicer, perhaps a little bit larger and maybe a wee bit more expensive than "mass market"?

I just checked the US amazon.com and it wil come out in the US first in hardcover (and ugh...kindle) which is usual for books here in the US that are thought to become best sellers with the paperback edition (either trade or mass market) being pub'd a long as a year after the hardcover version is out.

I perfer paperbound myself for the reasons you state but will make do with hardbound if I can't get (or can't wait if it's a new book) paperbound. There are very few authors whose books I can't wait for the paperbound edition--Tana French and George R. R. Martin (and if he doesn't come out with the last of the Song of Ice & Fire series, I don't know what I will do..grrr!!!) are two that come to mind...'-}}

I've never read any Connelly but I've heard great things about Harry Bosch...I should add his books to my book list.

Was it you, Ann, who told me about the Bryant & May series? I started the first book the other day and am a bit nonplussed as to killing off one of the main characters within the first few pages but I suspect I will understand it all by the time I get to the end and...I am enjoying what I've read so far...I love the little funnies...'-}}

Terrie

Last edited by terrie; 08-15-2015 at 11:24 AM. Reason: fix a typo
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 07:52 AM   #4
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

>> with the paperback edition (either trade or mass market) being pub'd a long as a year after the hardcover version is out.

Giving Terri Gross an opportunity to re-run the original hardback-release interview with the author. ;-)

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 11:24 AM   #5
terrie
Staff

Had to look her up...and...yes...I would suspect that the release of the paperbound edition opens a new round of publicity pole dancing...'-}}

Terrie
Old 08-15-2015, 03:59 PM   #6
Mac Townsend

PBs, especially mass market ones, are becoming hard for me to read. Type too small, not enough leading, and too narrow margins. Hardcovers I seldom buy new, except for Daniel Silva! More often on half.com or at the library guild's store.

I have come to much prefer e-books, and especially like the SCRIBD subscription (US$8.99 for all you can eat)
Mac Townsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 05:49 PM   #7
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
First...what is the difference between "trade paperback" and "mass market paperback"? I think "trade paperback" is usually a bit nicer, perhaps a little bit larger and maybe a wee bit more expensive than "mass market"?
Trade paperbacks are the same size as hardbacks, but perfect-bound and sometimes with slightly cheaper paper. Our libraries buy a lot of them as well as hardbacks for popular fiction authors, to allow for the popularity of newly-published titles. The trade paperbacks are then discarded when they get tatty, leaving the more robust hardbacks for the longer term lower demand period.

Mass market paperbacks are smaller, fatter, harder to read and have poor quality paper with cheaper glue, so that pages sometimes fall out. The print is also a lot smaller, as Mac commented. And the margins are small, so fat fingers and thumbs get in the way.

And yes, I was the one who recommended the Bryant & May series. Don't expect anything, especially the characters, to be normal.

Old 08-15-2015, 06:05 PM   #8
terrie
Staff

Quote:
ann: Trade paperbacks are the same size as hardbacks
Ahhh...ok...makes sense...

>>And yes, I was the one who recommended the Bryant & May series. Don't expect anything, especially the characters, to be normal.

LOL!!! I finished the first one last night--I suspected the the good news about 1/2 way through. It's quite a clever approach. Will be starting the 2nd one later this evening. I only ordered the first 3 as I wasn't sure I'd like the series and figured 3 is a good number to try. I will likely be ordering the rest of them soon--my sister gave me a gift certificate to Thriftbooks that is burning a hole in my digital pocket...'-}}

I've given up ordering books from Better World Books until they can fix the biblio-purgatory also known as Baltimore, Maryland--my order arrives there within about 1-2 days of my order having been shipped and then the order sits in Baltimore for more than 2.5 weeks! so it takes 3.5 to 4 weeks for my order to arrive. I finally got tired of it--there is no excuse for the problem--and told BWB that I would no longer order from them and moved my book buying to Thriftbooks--Thriftbooks orders generally arrive within 4-5 days sometimes less.

Have you read any Iain Pears? There is a series of 6 that are quite good...

Terrie
Old 08-15-2015, 08:39 PM   #9
annc
Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
Ahhh...ok...makes sense...

>>And yes, I was the one who recommended the Bryant & May series. Don't expect anything, especially the characters, to be normal.

LOL!!! I finished the first one last night--I suspected the the good news about 1/2 way through. It's quite a clever approach. Will be starting the 2nd one later this evening. I only ordered the first 3 as I wasn't sure I'd like the series and figured 3 is a good number to try. I will likely be ordering the rest of them soon--my sister gave me a gift certificate to Thriftbooks that is burning a hole in my digital pocket...'-}}

I've given up ordering books from Better World Books until they can fix the biblio-purgatory also known as Baltimore, Maryland--my order arrives there within about 1-2 days of my order having been shipped and then the order sits in Baltimore for more than 2.5 weeks! so it takes 3.5 to 4 weeks for my order to arrive. I finally got tired of it--there is no excuse for the problem--and told BWB that I would no longer order from them and moved my book buying to Thriftbooks--Thriftbooks orders generally arrive within 4-5 days sometimes less.

Have you read any Iain Pears? There is a series of 6 that are quite good...
Oh no! Books have to arrive quickly! BTW, I have the last of the Sister Fidelma books on my bedside table at the moment and am so sad to be caught up. The last two I read were the best of the series, IMO, and I'm hoping this one will be just as good. Coincidentally, I got an email the other day letting me know that publication of the next one has been announced and the library has ordered it, so I've put in a reservation.

I haven't read any Iain Pears, but will look them up in the library catalogue. I need a new series to replace Sister Fidelma.

And I'm almost caught up on the Tess Gerritsen Rizzoli and Isles series, too. I've currently got 24 reservations in for as yet unpublished latest titles in series I follow. I've got 55 profiles on my library card, all for just authors' names; so if all of them publish one book a year, I have more than one a week that I automatically get. But some publish more, and some publish fewer.

Old 08-16-2015, 11:57 AM   #10
terrie
Staff

Quote:
ann: Oh no! Books have to arrive quickly!
My thoughts perzakly...'-}}

>>BTW, I have the last of the Sister Fidelma books on my bedside table at the moment and am so sad to be caught up. The last two I read were the best of the series, IMO, and I'm hoping this one will be just as good.

I've been meaning to tell you that I had ordered (and read) the first 10. While I very much enjoyed learning about the history (which fed my ongoing distain for the Roman Catholic church) and I'm glad I read them, in the end, they were just ok and so I didn't order the rest. That said, given your recommendation on the penultimate plus 1 (can't be minus 1 that would make no sense...'-}}), I will make a note in my book list to get these two.

>>I haven't read any Iain Pears, but will look them up in the library catalogue. I need a new series to replace Sister Fidelma.

He has others which also have a good rep but I've not read them (yet). The series of 6 dealing with the Italian art thefts squad are a fun read--Italian cozies. Here are the titles: The Raphael Affair (1991), The Titian Committee (1992), The Bernini Bust (1993), The Last Judgement (1994), Giotto's Hand (1995), Death and Restoration (1996) and The Immaculate Deception (2000).

>>And I'm almost caught up on the Tess Gerritsen Rizzoli and Isles series, too.

I've not read any of those. There is a TV series here in the US based on the books which I used to watch but can barely tolerate now.

You might enjoy Daniel Silva's Gabriel Allon series. I got onto to it based on an article in The Washington Post on the art restorer with whom Silva consults and the series sounded intriguing--a spy whose cover is art restoration. The first book in the series is pretty good but each subsequent book in the series has been more exciting than the last. I've read all but one of the currently pub'd books--saving it because it's the last one I have--and he'd got another one just out.

You might also enjoy Robert Harris' books particularly: Fatherland (what if Germany won WWII, Kennedy was not assasinated, Edward VII did not abdicate?), Enigma (EXCELLENT!), The Ghost (you think you know, predictably what's going to happen next, but you're surprised by the turns), Archangel (about Stalin). He also has a series of 3 books (last one to be pub'd this year) on ancient Rome which I enjoyed enough that I will get the newly pub'd one when it's released.

Terrie

Last edited by terrie; 08-17-2015 at 07:46 PM. Reason: fix a typo