DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Introduce Yourself

Old 08-09-2015, 03:36 PM   #41
Hugh Wyn Griffith

The problem with Parish Records in Wales even as recently as then are they are most likely in Welsh!

My cousin is fluent in Welsh, although born in London, but she learned it. She is no longer active in genealogy I know because I asked her once for someone and she couldn't help.

If you know the Parish you could try writing to the Priest.

Just looking at Google Earth too -- the Church looks very C of E and so the records might be in English and the glassed in notice at the Church gate makes it seem likely that there are Services. I see the School is still active.

From Google on the village name, I noticed this which looks very promising:

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/CGN...el-y-Creuddyn/

On the link to Church Records there's a reference to Cardiganshire Family History Society as a source.

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 04:23 PM   #42
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Alas No.

He would tell people: Just get a Penny notebook, open it up and on the first page write your name and address and when you were born and begin:

"I remember ...."

I still have the notebook somewhere but it only lasted for a couple of paragraphs!

I don't even have my daily planners from my office days when I travelled a lot including into China when you had to have a second passport if you'd been to Taiwan. By the time I got to Israel they'd dropped that and it was enough to have a slip of paper which the Israelis used to put their stamp on for while you were in Israel.

All a bit silly since we were coming over the Allenby Bridge which only went to one place!

And my memory isn't good enough to piece anything useful together.

At least my son Martin can write and now retired has started on research for another book linked to my Father's "Up to Mametz".

Hugh
Old 08-09-2015, 07:20 PM   #43
terrie
Staff

Quote:
hugh: I travelled a lot including into China when you had to have a second passport if you'd been to Taiwan.
I almost has to do that when I went 'round the world in 1980. I was in Taipei for 2-3 weeks and then went on to Hong Kong and picked up a tour into China. In the end, I was able to get the visas for Taiwan and China without having to have two passports--it could be that because the China portion was a tour rather than my going into China as an individual...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 06:25 AM   #44
Anne Wright

Terrie,
You're right - 2x great for the couple married in 1837. With my long lived family it doesn't take very many generations to get back a long way! I don't think of them as "great" usually, just John Morgan Wright's parents. Grandmother wrote short biographies of the various ancestors she collected information about so I grew up feeling I knew those people.

Oh, I have the blog going - no content yet but the bare bones are there!

Got to go - I have to see if I'll be selected for a jury.

Anne

Old 08-10-2015, 11:16 AM   #45
terrie
Staff

Quote:
anne: 2x great for the couple married in 1837
Oh good! I wasn't sure if I were missing something...'-}}

Have fun on jury duty if you are selected...'-}}

Terrie
Old 08-10-2015, 03:33 PM   #46
Hugh Wyn Griffith

This was a tour in a sense since it was a Trade Mission; it may well not have mattered or things may have been politically more sensitive when I was there.

Across the border to Canton (as was) was always easier I believe because of the special status of Hong Kong.

I was only a few years ahead of you on the two RTW trips I did where the fare RTW First Class was less than a simple RT Manchester to Osaka in Coach so my friendly travel agent suggested that to me!

Hugh
Old 08-10-2015, 04:31 PM   #47
terrie
Staff

Quote:
hugh: I was only a few years ahead of you on the two RTW trips I did where the fare RTW First Class was less than a simple RT Manchester to Osaka in Coach so my friendly travel agent suggested that to me!
First class! I should have been so lucky...'-}}

I used a PanAm WorldPass ticket--coach needless to say and if I'm remembering correctly, the ticket was just shy of $600--but it wasn't all that bad as I didn't really know any better and I did hops. DC > San Francisco (stayed with friends for a about a week or so) > Japan (Tokyo, Kyoto with a little trip to Nara) for 2-3 weeks > Hong Kong (I think) > Taipei (3 weeks, studying Tai Chi) > Hong Kong picking up 12-15 day China tour > Hong Kong > London (2 weeks) > DC. All in all I was gone close to 3 months.

Terrie
Old 08-11-2015, 06:09 AM   #48
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

>> And my memory isn't good enough to piece anything useful together.

They say that once you start, it unlocks more. But it sounds as though you've given that a try already.

>> At least my son Martin can write and now retired has started on research for another book linked to my Father's "Up to Mametz".

Keep us posted, please?

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 10:37 AM   #49
Hugh Wyn Griffith

I was lucky that we used a wonderful local travel agent who had access to a verey good consolidator -- but back then I think the Manchester - Osaka RT in Coach would have been about £700 for a ticket that could be altered and the exchange rate then would have made it about $2000 I think but so you paid a lot less. A restricted ticket in Coach to Osaka would have been much less but weren't as common then and risky for business purposes.

Hugh
Old 08-11-2015, 10:47 AM   #50
Hugh Wyn Griffith

If he finishes it .....

If WW-I interests you there is an interesting new edition of my father's book called "Up to Mametz ... and beyond":

Quote:
Up to Mametz - and Beyond [Hardback
by Llewelyn Wyn Griffith, edited by Jonathan Riley

The book incorporates a reprint of the highly acclaimed book by Llewelyn Wyn Griffith in 1931, and this version is edited by Lieutenant General Jonathan Riley, CB, DSO RhD, MA. It includes previously unpublished letters and diaries of Llewelyn Wyn Griffith. The book provides an account of the 15th Battalion The Royal Welsh Fusiliers from its training through to its participation with 38th Welsh Division at the Battle at Mametz Wood in July 1916.

The story by Wyn Griffith ended there, however it is now continued by editor Jonathan Riley through to the end of the war using the previously unpublished letters and diaries of Wyn Griffith. Published by Pen & Sword Military (Nov 2010). 224 pages. ISBN-10: 1848843534, ISBN-13: 978-1848843530
A youngish man, Jonathon Riley had a distinguished career in action in the British Army and spent a time here in Tampa at McDill as the British representative on CENTCOM -- neither of us knew of each other then unfortunately!

Hugh