DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > The Corner Pub

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-07-2015, 11:06 AM   #1
Andrew B.
Staff

Default The Geometry of Cal King Beds

My Cal King bed confuses caregivers, and it caused me some confusion until I got used to it. And it all has to do with length versus width.

Like most beds, the Cal King bed head-to-foot length is greater than the side-to-side width. So it seems intuitive that when you put the blanket on, you should put it so the longer length runs from head to foot. But this is all optical confusion. To begin with, the length-to-width ratio of a Cal King is less than most beds. Add to this the fact that the blanket doesn't only cover the top, it also drapes over the sides and the foot. And there are two sides versus only one foot. Which combined with the low length-to-width ratio makes all the difference. And this is what causes the confusion, because people are not seeing the sides as part of the measurement. But the reality is, the blanket must be put on so the longer length runs side-to-side.

When I first tried to make my bed, I made the same mistake. I put the blanket on wrong, and there was not enough on the sides to tuck it in, and at the foot is was dragging on the floor. And so I tried it the other way. And when I noticed it working, I didn't give it any thought. That is, until caregivers started making the bed. And most of them seem perfectly content to put the blanket back in a way where they cannot tuck in the sides. And then they put my quilt on so it’s dragging on the floor at the foot of the bed, with only about an inch of overhang on each side. And the fact that it isn't that way before they remade the bed doesn't seem to faze them.

So after years of this, I realized I had to ponder why this is all so confusing, and try to figure out how to explain this. Which I hope I have.

Last edited by Andrew B.; 08-07-2015 at 11:23 AM.
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote