DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > The Corner Pub

Old 08-07-2015, 10:06 AM   #1
Andrew B.
Staff

Default The Geometry of Cal King Beds

My Cal King bed confuses caregivers, and it caused me some confusion until I got used to it. And it all has to do with length versus width.

Like most beds, the Cal King bed head-to-foot length is greater than the side-to-side width. So it seems intuitive that when you put the blanket on, you should put it so the longer length runs from head to foot. But this is all optical confusion. To begin with, the length-to-width ratio of a Cal King is less than most beds. Add to this the fact that the blanket doesn't only cover the top, it also drapes over the sides and the foot. And there are two sides versus only one foot. Which combined with the low length-to-width ratio makes all the difference. And this is what causes the confusion, because people are not seeing the sides as part of the measurement. But the reality is, the blanket must be put on so the longer length runs side-to-side.

When I first tried to make my bed, I made the same mistake. I put the blanket on wrong, and there was not enough on the sides to tuck it in, and at the foot is was dragging on the floor. And so I tried it the other way. And when I noticed it working, I didn't give it any thought. That is, until caregivers started making the bed. And most of them seem perfectly content to put the blanket back in a way where they cannot tuck in the sides. And then they put my quilt on so it’s dragging on the floor at the foot of the bed, with only about an inch of overhang on each side. And the fact that it isn't that way before they remade the bed doesn't seem to faze them.

So after years of this, I realized I had to ponder why this is all so confusing, and try to figure out how to explain this. Which I hope I have.

Last edited by Andrew B.; 08-07-2015 at 10:23 AM.
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 01:00 PM   #2
terrie
Staff

I've never seen a cal-king bed in the flesh (so to speak...'-}}) but your description makes perfect sense. I don't use a blanket except for the depths of winter and then I just throw it over the comforter for the little bit of time I use it--so basically my bedding is fitted sheet on the bottom, regular sheet next and then the comforter. I do tuck in the top sheet at the foot and do a hospital corners at the bottom sides but other than that the top sheet is loose as is the comforter...

The blanket I use is actually a throw-blanket--smaller than a regular blanket--that one of my sisters gave me years ago. It basically fits the width of the bed with no extra and it's a little bit longer than the length of the bed but not by much. It seems to stay put without tucking (nothing really to tuck) on top of the comforter.

In thinking about this, I just remembered that I used to use a blanket between the top sheet and the comforter but when I got my new mattress, to replace my very, very ancient old mattress, it's got some sort of foam on top that my old mattress did not have and it's warmer than my old mattress so I found I didn't need a blanket most of the time...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 08:14 AM   #3
Hugh Wyn Griffith

I think one thing that confused me is that a Cal King bed is apparently smaller than a King bed! Seems very un-Cal .....

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 11:24 AM   #4
terrie
Staff

Quote:
hugh: Seems very un-Cal
LOL! I was surprised also when I found that out...'-}}

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 05:48 PM   #5
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Wyn Griffith View Post
I think one thing that confused me is that a Cal King bed is apparently smaller than a King bed! Seems very un-Cal .....
A California king bed is 4 inches narrower than a standard king, and 4 inches longer.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 05:57 PM   #6
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Only bigger, not better? <g>

Hugh
Old 08-08-2015, 06:13 PM   #7
Andrew B.
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Wyn Griffith View Post
I think you have California confused with Texas. In California it's all about alternative this and alternative that.

Old 08-09-2015, 04:24 PM   #8
Hugh Wyn Griffith

There is that .... I wish they'd tell the produce growers in CA that bigger is definitely not better!

Hugh