DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Introduce Yourself

Old 08-06-2015, 05:49 PM   #31
Anne Wright

Default Made it back again after a long delay

And apparently I have two IDs for this forum since the one that started this thread has my middle initial and this ID does not. I did remember the password for this one, not sure if I'd remember what I used for the other.

2013 turned out to be a worse year than 2012. My husband had foot surgery to repair/reattach a tendon on the side of his foot. Just about the time he was getting ready to return to work my father had a catastrophic event and passed away after a week of family drama. Fortunately Dad was not aware of any of that mess. Dad's goal was to make it to 90 and he did with a few months to spare. He was mentally alert right up to the last event and making plans for the future.

Two days after the funeral my husband drove to Atlanta for DragonCon, made a bad left turn and was T-boned. Totaled his car and the car that hit him but no one was hurt. I found him a much better replacement car (a sweet 2006 Prius in great shape for a great price) which was good since we had to drive back and forth from Tallahassee to Central Florida to help my sister with Dad's estate and staying with Mom.

With Mom being 94 we're still making regular trips. Plus Mom is letting us go through the house and we're finding all sorts of family treasures. I'm scanning boxes and boxes of photos, negatives, documents and slides. In addition to my family's stuff, my mother in law decided I was the one to get my husband's family genealogy, photos and documents - eight big boxes!

So I'm finally getting around to trying to set up WordPress on my website to post some of the pictures and share some of the genealogy. I'll put a message in the correct section tomorrow since I seem to have messed up the installation and have to figure out how to get the SQL database connecting with the blog software - I think.

Good to see everyone!

Anne
Anne Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 08:34 PM   #32
terrie
Staff

I'm so sorry to hear about your dad. I'm so glad that your husband wasn't hurt in the accident--I have a new-to-me 2006 RAV4 after my truck tried to kill me with brake failure and 2006 seems to have been a good year for Toyotas...'-}}

I posted in the other thread that I'm most interested in what you will be putting on your blog so be sure to let us know when it's up and running...

I've PM'd you with some info on your forum userids...

Welcome back!

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 09:35 PM   #33
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Wright View Post
And apparently I have two IDs for this forum since the one that started this thread has my middle initial and this ID does not. I did remember the password for this one, not sure if I'd remember what I used for the other.
Hi Anne and welcome back. It's great to see you posting again.

I've merged your two accounts, and this one is the one to use now as the other one has gone away, although the posts that were in it haven't..

Old 08-08-2015, 08:11 AM   #34
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Welcome back Anne.

Sorry to hear about your Dad passing -- a lot of local history will have passed unless he kept a journal or wrote some of it later.

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 12:56 PM   #35
Anne Wright

Thanks, Hugh,
Dad's goal was to make it to 90 and he did. He shared a lot of his stories over the years and I found a lot of drafts for emails on his computer that I'm trying to compile so we're trying to save his personal history. I'm trying to set up a blog to share a lot of his stories. We did lose some of the things he wanted to share - he always intended to write the history of some of the family furniture and never got around to it.

The journal his mother kept the first year the family lived in Florida is now at the state Photographic Archives being scanned. They want to add it to the archives and I'm working on my sister and Mom to donate it. I'll have to write up the background once I get my blog going!

Anne
Old 08-08-2015, 05:55 PM   #36
Hugh Wyn Griffith

We are so lucky that my father did keep a daily journal for many years; particularly during and since WW-II as well as two books: one dealing with his childhood and another, remarkable one, about the Battle of the Somme in WW-I.

Also one of my cousins was active as a genealogist for many years and built the family tree back some 15 generations partly through verbal family tales of who had owned a little brass tobacco box a great-aunt had inherited and passed on and partly through searching parish records.

I had the tobacco box myself until I was away in the USA on a business trip and the house was broken into -- they probably thought it was gold!

All my father's family papers are with the National Library of Wales, I'm glad to say, so they are safe so I'm glad that some of yours will be preserved. So much gets junked by younger generations when someone dies.

I made my 90th earlier this year and am still going strong I'm glad to say -- I have a feeling doing computer support online is an excellent way of keeping the brain working!

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 07:03 PM   #37
Anne Wright

Oh - you are so lucky to have those records - even if they are not in your hands! That is a shame about the tobacco box.

Congratulations and happy birthday!

Oh way back I asked you where Llanfihangel was and you asked which Llanfihangel. I finally know - it's Llanfihangel y Creuddyn (spelled various ways over the years) in Cardiganshire. It's about six miles south west of Aberyswyth.

That is where my great grandparents were married in 1837 and my great grandfather was born in 1852. Unfortunately I haven't gotten any farther back - on the marriage certificate William Wright listed his father as George Wright and I haven't found his father in Wales. William said on different census that he was born in London or in Llanfihangel y Creuddyn so he may not have been Welsh at all.

The bride's name was Mary Morgan, father David Morgan. That certainly narrows it down, doesn't it? I have located at least three David Morgans who baptized daughters named Mary in the right time frame and there is no way to figure out which is the right one so far.

Do you know how to get parish records? I think that the Morgan family lived in that village and on Google Street view the church is still there surrounded by tombstones. They would probably have more records and maybe I could get back farther. My Welsh line and the one that came from Lincolnshire around 1830 are the two shortest lines I have and I'd love to extend them back more.
Old 08-08-2015, 08:18 PM   #38
terrie
Staff

Quote:
hugh: I made my 90th earlier this year
WOW! I had no idea! A belated...Happy Birthday!

Terrie
Old 08-08-2015, 08:20 PM   #39
terrie
Staff

Quote:
anne: That is where my great grandparents were married in 1837 and my great grandfather was born in 1852.
Shouldn't there be an extra "great" for the 1837'ers???

Terrie
Old 08-09-2015, 08:31 AM   #40
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

>> I made my 90th earlier this yea

And I sincerely hope you're carrying on your father's journaling tradition, Hugh.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote