DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 07-17-2015, 11:53 AM   #1
terrie
Staff

Default Adobe...can it be any more annoying, Part 2?

Yesterday afternoon, I was trying to look at some photos online (part of a magazine spread) only to discover that the site uses Flash and Mozilla (in its infinite wisdom) was blocking Flash in Firefox--I'd read about this ca-ca a few days ago but this was my first experience with the issue. I don't generally update software willy-nilly and usually have auto-updating turned off but given the block, I decided that I'd go ahead and update Flash.

I have always found Adobe's approach to updating Flash (and Reader for that matter--see what is now part 1 of "Adobe...can it be any more annoying?") frustrating on a number of levels. My update attempt was more frustrating than usual because, after unchecking that stupid crapola McAfee option and downloading the Flash particle, I kept getting a weird script error. The first time it happened, I figured maybe the particle was corrupt so I downloaded it again--of course I had to because Adobe in its infinite wisdom deletes the particle--ending with the same error result. I rebooted (we'd had a power failure and I thought maybe there was something icky in my current session), downloaded yet again and received the same error result, yet again. This sent me on what turned out to be a half-hour search for the full download version of Flash (vs. the stupid particle).

Why can't Adobe offer the full version on the same webpage that it offers the particle and if it can't then why does Adobe make it so difficult to find the full version? I eventually found it via a browser search link to a post in the Adobe forums--someplace I've not been in eons. The full version installed with no problems and...without having to worry about crapola extras...

Terrie

Last edited by terrie; 07-18-2015 at 11:40 AM. Reason: fix link
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 12:26 AM   #2
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
Yesterday afternoon, I was trying to look at some photos online (part of a magazine spread) only to discover that the site uses Flash and Mozilla (in its infinite wisdom) was blocking Flash in Firefox--I'd read about this ca-ca a few days ago but this was my first experience with the issue.
There was a bit of a fuss on one of the forums I follow (nothing to do with DTP) a day or so ago saying that both Mozilla and Google had removed all links to Flash, but when I checked, both Mozilla and Google had happily updated Flash on my Mac, so I just ignored it all.

Old 07-18-2015, 11:36 AM   #3
terrie
Staff

I'm still not sure why I was getting a script error--got it the first time when I tried to update through Mozilla--but it was annoying. On the Mac side, when you update Flash (or Reader), does it take you to Adobe's website for the update which you then have to download (my guess is that Mac users are not "offered" the McAfee crap) and then install or does it just update the software automagically? '-}}

From everything I've read, it appears that reports of Flash dying are not exaggerated...

Terrie
Old 07-19-2015, 06:22 AM   #4
sky4forums

When I have updated Flash on my Mac I do not not get any McAfee stuff. Also it has happened both ways, sometimes the update application downloads and installs the update, sometimes it starts up my browser and takes me to the download page. The latter can be annoying as then I have to download, open installer and quit the browser to do the update. I do not know why it chooses one way or the other. Also every time I do an update it wants to make all future updates automatic. I have to remember to override that preference EVERY time.

Old 07-19-2015, 12:46 PM   #5
terrie
Staff

Quote:
sky: Also it has happened both ways
Thanks for the info. I don't think I've ever had an automagical update for either Flash or Reader but that may be due more to how I have my system configured.

>>Also every time I do an update it wants to make all future updates automatic. I have to remember to override that preference EVERY time.

Yeah! That is sooo damned annoying. The other thing I always check--not sure if you have/can do this on the Mac side--is to see what little startup worm has been added. Reader is prone to this sort of thing more than Flash and I always make a point to check and disable the statup load.

Terrie