DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-14-2015, 02:07 PM   #1
Andrew B.
Staff

Default Another Factory Restore

I posted about the factory restore of my Sony. After solving the certificate problem I was reminded why I had rushed to buy a new computer to replace it a year ago. Unpredictable spontaneous quits. It can run for hour or seconds and then suddenly die. I could get it fixed, but too difficult right now.

In the mean time, my newer Toshiba was showing signs of being infected with no solution near at hand. I'll skip the details. But I got fed up and without much planning I launched into a factory restore. Took longer to complete than the Sony, but happily it did. I did it from the discs (not from a hidden drive) and told it to not preserve the partition, assuming this would make a cleaner redo. I have no idea if this process also resets the master boot record or whatever other deep stuff is needed, but so be it.

Anyway, so far my computer seems to be running okay. We will see. I also have no plans to get my upgrade to Win7 Ultimate back. That was a mistake on my part, and pointless on this computer anyway.