DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Images

Old 03-14-2015, 11:12 PM   #1
johnnyboy

Default Duplicate Photos

I have a lot of duplicate photos in "My Pictures" (Win 7). Does anyone know a good safe way to delete them quickly?. Some of the freeware looks a bit dangerous to me.
johnnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 10:07 AM   #2
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Duplicate in what sense? Nearly identical photos from a sequence shot at the same time? Identical but under different filenames? Something else?

One approach would be to copy the contents of the folder elsewhere then run the dupe remover software on the backup folder. If the results are as desired, replace the contents of your ... er ... My Pictures (wait, whose pictures ARE they, Mr. Gates?) with the newly processed folder contents.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 01:33 PM   #3
johnnyboy

For some reason or other I seem to have gained a duplicate of a lot of my photos. They are the ones I want to get rid of. I can go through them taking them out one by one but as there a lot it is very slow.

I am using Photoshop Elements 11 and that can find them but as yet I have not found how i can eliminate them other than one by one.
Old 03-15-2015, 02:27 PM   #4
terrie
Staff

I wonder if you use Explorer and took a look at both the dates and the file names if you might be able to sort by date--if the dates are different between the original and the dups--which would gather the files together allowing you to delete the ones you don't want--perhaps copy them someplace just in case before deleting.

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 03:29 PM   #5
johnnyboy

I tried that Terrie and it certainly found them together but it still means with two photos only it is down to deleting them one at a time.

There are a lot of free software programs available that will find and delete duplicate files. I tried one but my virus software flashed on so I backed away in a panic! There is another called "Dup Scout" that some people recommend. I might try that.
Old 03-15-2015, 06:30 PM   #6
Andrew B.
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyboy View Post
For some reason or other I seem to have gained a duplicate of a lot of my photos. They are the ones I want to get rid of. I can go through them taking them out one by one but as there a lot it is very slow.
Steve was asking the type of duplicates because the solution depends on this. Some duplicates could be binary duplicates, which are actually copies of the same file but with a different name or in a different location. The other type of duplicate would be photos that are visually duplicates, but perhaps different sizes or different shots taken from the same angle.

Old 03-16-2015, 03:50 AM   #7
Bo Aakerstrom

As Steve and Andrew pointed out there are different solutions for different types of situations. This assumes all your images lives in the same folder like a big happy family.

If for instance the file you want to keep is filename.jpg and the duplicate is filename(2).jpg you could do a search for (2).jpg (omitting the first part of the filename).

Old 03-16-2015, 07:30 AM   #8
Andrew B.
Staff

That's a good method that I've used myself. There are also utilities that find duplicates using their MD5 Checksum (or similar method). There are other utilities that can find nonduplicates that are visually similar.

Old 03-17-2015, 03:25 AM   #9
johnnyboy

I downloaded the free version of Dup Scout without a whimper from my virus software. It looks OK and when I work it out it should do the job for me.

Thanks for your comments.
Old 03-18-2015, 02:02 PM   #10
terrie
Staff

Quote:
johnnyboy: Dup Scout
Keep us posted on how it works for you...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote