DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-22-2005, 08:30 PM   #1
Andrew B.
Staff

Default iCorrect Portrait Plug-in

I received an email from PictoColor about their new plugin called iCorrect Portrait. The web site says "Point-and-Click Color Correction Plug-in for Portrait, Wedding, School, Sport, and Event Photographers." IOW, this is an auto-corrector that is supposed to take the pain out of adjusting lightness, contrast, and color. Closer inspection showed me that this is actually the reincarnation of a discontinued plugin called iCorrect Professional. This disappeared from the PictoColor product list months ago, possibly because it was difficult to market along with their other auto-corrector called iCorrect Edit Lab Pro. Easy to confuse the names, and one product was not simply a subset of the other. Now it's back as iCorrect Portrait, but with its foliage and sky color presets removed, leaving only the one for skin. Which fits marketing this as a portrait tool. And it does have the ability to load new presets, so one could add foliage and sky back, if they could obtain the preset files somewhere.

With regard the what this thing can do, it is no replacements for Photoshop's native tools. It is sorely in need of a saturation slider. It cannot adequately protect the black and white points during brightness adjustment, which leaves its Contrast adjuster to compensate for this, and that can overdo contrast. But it is very easy to use, and it can surpass Photoshop in rare color correction situations, which is more than most auto-correctors can do. OTOH, these cases are so rare I never felt compelled to buy it when it was iCorrect Professional. But I am pleased to once again have the possibility of buying it.

http://www.pictocolor.com/index.html

Last edited by Andrew B.; 06-23-2005 at 04:05 PM.
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote