DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 01-22-2015, 12:49 AM   #1
Andrew B.
Staff

Default BitLocker and Win7 Anytime Upgrade

I want to upgrade my Windows 7 Pro to Windows 7 Ultimate. Using the chat feature at the Microsoft website, the rep told me they no longer sell it, but I might find it from a third party. Odd thing. I can go into Control Panel - System - Get More Features... and click that. It takes me to a store that says powered by Microsoft Store. And I assume my version should not send me to the wrong place.

Anyone know more about this? Any tips?

FWIW, my reason for upgrading it so get bitlocker. It has been suggested to me that this is the easiest way to encrypt a Win computer. Any tips regarding turning no or adding Bitlocker.

Edit: I was looking at youtube to see how bitlocker works, and off the the side were listed some movies about how to use software that can open Bitlocker. I wonder why bother, then.

Last edited by Andrew B.; 01-23-2015 at 12:32 PM.
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 03:27 AM   #2
LoisWakeman
Staff

Did you get as far as putting it in your basket?

I recently bought an OEM copy of Win 7 from ebay to install on my new desktop instead of Win 8 which doesn't support disk mirroring (unless you get the pro version - duh) - that installed fine.
LoisWakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 04:19 AM   #3
Andrew B.
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoisWakeman View Post
Did you get as far as putting it in your basket?
I selected the product and got a screen to enter my address.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:08 AM   #4
LoisWakeman
Staff

I wonder if you would be thrown out after you got to the "buy now" stage?
LoisWakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 09:46 AM   #5
CarlSeiler

Default Bitlocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew B. View Post
Edit: I was looking at youtube to see how bitlocker works, and off the the side were listed some movies about how to use software that can open Bitlocker. I wonder why bother, then.
[Running with this and going off topic, mods feel free to move this]

I don't use Bitlocker myself, I'm on Windows 8 at home and use KeePass2 as a password locker and still using TrueCrypt (despite being end-of-life). It would be interesting to me what technique they (the YouTube guys) were claiming to use, as I think there would be major news if there were a known way of bypassing it that could be consistently used. Theoretically, the cold-boot trick could work with a sophisticated attacker (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitLock...urity_concerns) but other than that, it seems to me that they're using pretty robust encryption that only the alphabet guys can get into--you never know what they can get into. That said, while theoretically possible, I don't think there's any widespread, easy to use software crack to get past BitLocker or any other well designed full disc encryption that uses modern encryption techniques. That's not to say there isn't a zero-day vulnerability out there, just that it isn't on YouTube. JMHO.

Seems to me that it's a "why bother" just like "why bother" to lock your front door. Sure, someone can bust the door down, but most crooks aren't going to do that. You want to stop the guy walking down the street jiggling doorknobs to see what opens. If someone comes by with a battering ram, he's going to get your stuff. Same thing with digital stuff, no one is out there trying to get Andrew B's stuff in all likelihood, but if your laptop is stolen from your house or car, most crooks won't be able to get your credit cards or passwords or whatever you're trying to protect off there. If someone sticks you up with a gun to your head while you're using it, all bets are off, same as if someone swings in with a bunch of men in black ninja suits with high tech gadgetry that costs millions of dollars, you as an individual probably can't afford the defenses necessary to protect against what they're going to throw out against you. But Bitlocker and others from what we know sure is going to throw a block in the way of even the ninja guys it would seem---but no one really knows for sure. But I would take with a grain of salt anything I see on YouTube that hasn't been backed up with a good deal of computer security media coverage.

If Bitlocker were available to me without cost, I would use it. If I felt I had more to protect, I would upgrade to 8 Pro to get it.
CarlSeiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 01:15 PM   #6
terrie
Staff

Quote:
carl: [Running with this and going off topic, mods feel free to move this]
Not really off-topic at all. I've not done anything with encryption and found what you had to say food for thought...

Terrie

PS: did you get my reply to your email heads-up?
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 06:08 PM   #7
Andrew B.
Staff

The CPU on my computer doesn't have Trusted Execution Technology. Therefore, to use Bitlocker, I'd have to save my key to a USB drive and insert it every time I start my computer.

Old 01-27-2015, 06:13 AM   #8
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

That would worry me. Every so often, a couple of my computers decide that they just can't "see" certain USB thumbdrives. Usually moving the same drive to another port sorts it, but the "what if not" part would worry me.

Multiple USB drives with the key seems a good idea.

Another approach might be to keep all the important stuff in one place (a single folder with folders underneath it) then encrypt that one folder, maybe with one of these apps that lets you encrypt a folder and then mount it as a drive.

Keeping all the good stuff in one place makes it easier to back up, too.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 12:51 AM   #9
Andrew B.
Staff

I've got BitLocker installed but now I'm reluctant to be tethered to a usb drive.

The next computer I buy is going to be fully-loaded. I'm tired of coming up short.