DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Old 01-19-2015, 03:24 PM   #1
odorte

Default Windows phone, HTC, Samsung, Apple?

Im finally updating my old phone and just wondering what to get. I need a platform that works well with Microsoft office so that I can at least view files on the go. I am not very up to date with latest phones so desperately need help! Thank you.
odorte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 03:40 PM   #2
Franca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by odorte View Post
Im finally updating my old phone and just wondering what to get. I need a platform that works well with Microsoft office so that I can at least view files on the go. I am not very up to date with latest phones so desperately need help! Thank you.
I don't use Microsoft Office but I have been completely thrilled with my Samsung Galaxy S5. We are PC/Android people rather than iPeople so the synchronization through Google works really well for me. If all of your computers and devices are Apple you might be better off with an iPhone 6 for syncing. I don't know about the new iPhone 6, but the Samsung Galaxy S5 is, IMO, a much better device than the iPhone 5. I hope someone with MS Office can be more helpful in that regard.

Franca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 04:05 PM   #3
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by odorte View Post
I am an iPerson, and the iPhone comes with Apple's Pages etc. that will read MS Office documents. But I've been a Mac person since 1986.

If you do decide to go for an iPhone, get one of the larger capacity phones. For my latest (5s), I dropped back to 16Gb because of the price and the fact that I'd never used even a quarter of the capacity of my 32Gb iPhone/iPad. Then Apple brought out iOS8 and I had to delete stuff off my iPhone to fit the upgrade.

Old 01-19-2015, 04:45 PM   #4
Hugh Wyn Griffith

I'm a Windows person but don't have a really smart phone -- just an old Android 2.4 -- but if I was in the market for a modern phone I'd go for Windows 8 since that's what I use every day (7 more than 8) and I struggle with Android already.

Check out these two websites. The first used to be effectively run by Paul Thurrott who is a very capable, honest and readable source of information but he left a few days ago to set up his own site, the second link.

The first has perhaps a better backlog of what Paul checked out previously.

http://winsupersite.com/mobile/windows-phone-0

https://www.thurrott.com/mobile/windows-phone

Hope that helps but don't buy anything without some hands on experience.

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 08:10 PM   #5
Kayza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Wyn Griffith View Post
I'm a Windows person but don't have a really smart phone -- just an old Android 2.4 -- but if I was in the market for a modern phone I'd go for Windows 8 since that's what I use every day (7 more than 8) and I struggle with Android already.
The problem is that the latest versions of MS Office are coming out for Android and iOS, with Win Phone 8 not given a definite date. Many Windows users are seriously ticked off.

And, by the way Android 4.4 is much easier to use than 2.4
Kayza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 06:53 AM   #6
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Actually, there's no formally announced date for Android versions of Office, but it's no secret that there's one in the works.

There are already iOS versions of Word, Excel and PowerPoint; these work on iPhone and iPad/iPad Mini. If memory serves, you get a version that will view these files for free. If you pay to activate them, they're able to do a fair bit of editing on documents as well, and MS keeps adding features with every update.

There's one subscription edition of Office 365 aka 2013 that allows you to install the suite on up to five devices. I do a lot of work with PowerPoint and have found it useful to subscribe to this version so I can put a copy on a PC, a Mac, iPhone, iPad and keep one in reserve for when the Android version comes out, I guess.

The version I've got costs ten bucks a month; I'd get a bit of a discount if I paid for the whole year at one whack, but it seemed simpler to let them bleed my PayPal account a bit every month.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 04:24 PM   #7
Kayza

Well, they have delivered SOMETHING:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...fice.officehub
It says it will install on my SIII but not my tablet.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ft.office.word
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...t.office.excel
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ice.powerpoint
Tablet Only.
Kayza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 06:12 AM   #8
odorte

Thanks for all the replies, I have also heard good things about the Samsung Galaxy S's, and also theyre about hald the price of an iPhone. Windows phones I am not so sure about, and Apple is just a bit pricey. Works well though. MS Office docs I only have to read on the go so I guess that would work on any device. So I think Ill get my hands on a Samsung to try it out. Apparently theres a new one coming out and if it looks anything like this I would be quite excited!

http://print24.com/blog/2015/01/sams...ntinue-to-fly/
odorte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 07:42 AM   #9
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Well whaddaya know! And probably if I'd written my reply a day earlier, I'd still have been correct; it shows "Last updated" as Jan 20, so most likely it's just gone live.

Thanks for the update.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 01-21-2015, 07:47 AM   #10
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Hmm. I'm thinking that if you only need to read the stuff on the go, the web apps might save you the cost of at least one copy of Office.

All you need is a (free) OneDrive account which you can sign up for here:
https://onedrive.live.com/about/en-us/

You can upload docs to it from your PC or other device, then read them online in a web browser from OneDrive.

www.pptools.com
and stuff