DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Old 11-12-2014, 09:58 AM   #11
Andrew B.
Staff

Okay, here's where I ended up. While trying to use the limited space to move something from an XP computer, I discovered that XP could not read the drive. XP also offered to reformat it. This got rid of the EFI partition.

Then after some searcing, I downloaded EaseUS Partition Master Free. And while installing it I carefully skipped by all the additional software it offered to add. Then used to expand the primary partition into the unallocated space.

I must admit, it was a bit scary doing this. But I checked and rechecked to make sure I was attacking the USB drive.

Old 11-12-2014, 01:55 PM   #12
terrie
Staff

I discovered that the link in the article you ref'd--yourbusiness--to bootit is no longer working and after browsing around, apparently reformatting a usb drive/fiddling with the bits is tricky. Apparently bootit--if you can find it to download--might work on a usb2 stick but won't work on a usb3 stick (not sure which you have).

I did find that Sandisk has a forum which may prove useful.

Also, here's Sandisk's formatting info...

I'm glad you were able to get EaseUS partition master to get your stick back. EaseUS also makes system backup software--fecommended by a number of people on various forums--and I'd downloaded it to try on the old desktop system I got from my sister but in the end, I uninstalled it because it wouldn't do what I needed it to do--can't remember the specifics at this point.

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 12:47 PM   #13
Andrew B.
Staff

Thanks for the links. And btw, when I started my computer this morning, EaseUS Partition Manager loaded itself into memory. So I uninstalled it. I don't trust software that does that.

Old 11-13-2014, 02:53 PM   #14
terrie
Staff

Quote:
andrew: EaseUS Partition Manager loaded itself into memory. So I uninstalled it. I don't trust software that does that.
Me either!!!

The first thing I do after installing new software and rebooting is to use AutoRuns to see what might have been added to start at boot and to uncheck it via AutoRuns. AutoRuns is also useful to see what might be being added to Scheduled behind your back.

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 04:17 PM   #15
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew B. View Post
Thanks for the links. And btw, when I started my computer this morning, EaseUS Partition Manager loaded itself into memory. So I uninstalled it. I don't trust software that does that.
No need to uninstall it since it is a useful and reputable too. Just disable it in the Start configuration.

If you had Windows 7 or later:

Type System Configuration in the Start search box and when it shows in the list click on it. Click on the Startup tab and deselect the entry for EasUS ...

If it's XP I'm not sure but Run / msconfig will almost certainly reveal the Startup control.

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote