DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 10-22-2014, 07:29 AM   #1
Sophia Nowak

Default display calibration software?

Hi,
I am a newbie in color management, but that the display needs to be calibrated - that much I get. Can you please recommend the solution which will not break my limited budget, but is reliable and produces good results? And by the way, is there a way to check how good the performed calibration is?
I don't have any calibrator yet, so advice on this will also be appreciated.
Sophia Nowak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 01:24 PM   #2
terrie
Staff

Hi Sophia and welcome to the forum...

I've always used a Datacolor Spyder (in all of its various incarnations) and their least expensive model is the Spyder4Express ($99-ish). Alternatively, Pantone has the Colormunki Smile (also $99-ish) which appears to have replaced the "Huey". I don't know much about either the Smile or the Huey but did do some beta testing a few years ago with Spyder Express and found it and the software easy to use and I currently use a Spyder3Elite so I do have a bias towards the Spyder approach...'-}}

Tell us a little bit about the system you are using (OS, monitor type, etc.), what sort of imaging software you use and the imaging work you do. Do you print your own work or send it out to be printed?

Hope that gets you started...'-}}

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 06:11 AM   #3
Sophia Nowak

Hi Terrie,
I use Windows 7, my monitor is Acer V243HL.
I am learning photoshop (my current skills leave much to be desired, but one needs to learn, right? )

I am a photo enthusiast, so mainly I edit photos. No, I don't print myself, I take the images to the photo lab.
Sophia Nowak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 01:29 PM   #4
terrie
Staff

Quote:
sophia: I use Windows 7, my monitor is Acer V243HL.
Given that info, you'd probably be fine with either the Spyder4Express or the Colormunki.

As I noted, my experience is with the Spyder and I've always found the calibration process pretty straightforward. Once you go through the calibration process which creates the monitor profile, Win7 should set that newly created monitor profile as the default monitor profile. It's easy to check via Control Panel > Color Management > Devices tab: checkmark "use my settings for this device" and then in the section below, make sure that your new monitor profile is both listed and set as the default.

Within Photoshop, you need to check your color settings. I use an old version of Photoshop (7) so I'm not sure if the color settings options have been moved but in Photoshop 7, Edit > Color Settings. Within Color Settings, you need to choose your RGBWorking Space--a commonly used one is AdobeRGB. Do not choose your monitor profile as your Photoshop RGBWorking Space. That is not what either the monitor profile or the Photoshop RGBWorking Space is for--they are 2 separate mechanisms...

Hope that helps...let us know which calibrator you end up with...

Terrie
Old 11-14-2014, 09:20 AM   #5
NatalieQubyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia Nowak View Post
Hi,
I am a newbie in color management, but that the display needs to be calibrated - that much I get. Can you please recommend the solution which will not break my limited budget, but is reliable and produces good results? And by the way, is there a way to check how good the performed calibration is?
I don't have any calibrator yet, so advice on this will also be appreciated.
Hi Sophia, There is also PressProof, a display calibration solution for your consideration that is compatible with many measurement devices and according to the beta-testers the calibration results are very good. http://www.qubyx.com/index.php/products/16-pressproof Hope it helps.
NatalieQubyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 01:07 PM   #6
terrie
Staff

Quote:
natalie: There is also PressProof, a display calibration solution for your consideration that is compatible with many measurement devices
It appears that PressProof does not come with a colorimeter, that it is calibration software only. Is that correct?

Terrie
Old 11-14-2014, 01:09 PM   #7
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Natalie,

I'm guessing from your login name that you're affiliated with qubyx. Normally we frown on advertising but since you've mentioned this product in a thread requesting exactly this sort of info, no problem. But it's proper form to mention your affiliation with the product, if any, when recommending them. Thanks!

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 06:53 AM   #8
NatalieQubyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
It appears that PressProof does not come with a colorimeter, that it is calibration software only. Is that correct?

Terrie
Hello Terrie, Yes - PressProof is a calibration only software, but it's compatible with many measurement devices for the users' convenience ( a wide variety of pucks to choose from).
Old 11-17-2014, 07:01 AM   #9
NatalieQubyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg View Post
Natalie,

I'm guessing from your login name that you're affiliated with qubyx. Normally we frown on advertising but since you've mentioned this product in a thread requesting exactly this sort of info, no problem. But it's proper form to mention your affiliation with the product, if any, when recommending them. Thanks!
Hello Steve, I apologize for not mentioning my affiliation, I was going to do it, but then thought that my user name says it all, so... Anyway, thank you for understanding - you are absolutely right, I woudn't post if the info weren't relevant here.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:14 AM   #10
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Thanks for understanding, and thanks for following up on Terrie's question.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote