DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Images

Old 08-20-2014, 11:27 PM   #1
dasagaphani

Default Scan Image - Clean Bkgrd - preserve text

Hi, Guys,

Please Guide me / suggest me / Paste a web link ...

I am new to this work.
working on scanned pages (of old book) background cleaning.

Now, how to clean the black background without loosing text.
Sample Attached 19112.jpg

Thank you.
phani
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 19112.jpg (97.4 KB, 68 views)
dasagaphani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:28 AM   #2
Howard Allen

Welcome to the forum!

An image editing program, like Photoshop (or the less expensive Photoshop Elements) should be able to achieve most of what you want to do. Starting with good quality scans (preferably TIFF or Photoshop format, rather than JPEGs), you can use Photoshop's Threshold tool (Image menu/Adjustments/Threshold...) to reduce lighter greys to pure white and darker greys to pure black. Experiment with the slider. For more subtle control, you might try using the Levels tool (Image/Adjustments/Levels...) to tweak the highlights, midtones and black points individually. To get rid of scattered specks that may remain, you could then try some of the filters, such as Despeckle (Filter/Noise/Despeckle).

You may have to resort to some hand editing (a graphics tablet--e.g. Wacom--with a pen will make this as painless as possible) to get rid of other junk, such as the underlined passages in your example.

I've attached an edited example of your file, on which I've applied the Threshold and Despeckle functions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 19112 threshold.jpg (101.5 KB, 37 views)

OSX 10.10.5
Howard Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 11:12 AM   #3
sky4forums

Good advice. Just to help a little. In PSE12 on my Mac, Threshold is found at Filter/Adjustments/Threshold or you can add a Threshold layer to your image.

Old 08-30-2014, 04:17 AM   #4
dasagaphani

Thank you, it is wonderful, i am using photofiltre7 can you suggest any freeware for this job..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Allen View Post
Welcome to the forum!

An image editing program, like Photoshop (or the less expensive Photoshop Elements) should be able to achieve most of what you want to do. Starting with good quality scans (preferably TIFF or Photoshop format, rather than JPEGs), you can use Photoshop's Threshold tool (Image menu/Adjustments/Threshold...) to reduce lighter greys to pure white and darker greys to pure black. Experiment with the slider. For more subtle control, you might try using the Levels tool (Image/Adjustments/Levels...) to tweak the highlights, midtones and black points individually. To get rid of scattered specks that may remain, you could then try some of the filters, such as Despeckle (Filter/Noise/Despeckle).

You may have to resort to some hand editing (a graphics tablet--e.g. Wacom--with a pen will make this as painless as possible) to get rid of other junk, such as the underlined passages in your example.

I've attached an edited example of your file, on which I've applied the Threshold and Despeckle functions.
dasagaphani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 03:54 PM   #5
Bo Aakerstrom

The GIMP would be good for this: http://www.gimp.org/downloads/ - it is an open source application.

You will have to click on the link "Show other downloads" to see the ones for Windows and OSX.

As with Photoshop, the GIMP comes with a learning curve but well worth the effort.