DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > The Corner Pub

Old 06-25-2014, 10:54 PM   #1
Andrew B.
Staff

Default Notice to Appear Emails

I'm been getting a lot of junk mail that says it's a notice to appear in court. A zip file is attached. I got so many of these I was thinking on clicking the zip to see what's inside. But instead, I searched the Internet.

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/court-not...e-emails.shtml

Old 06-26-2014, 08:58 AM   #2
Hugh Wyn Griffith

I've had phone calls from a "lawyers' office" in Tampa, which is local, threatening to send a law officer with a warrant .......

For phone calls, 800notes.org is an excellent site to look up phone numbers (not just 800) and see others' experience.

I won a free Carnival cruise this morning so I phone call from 520 308 6903 told me!

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 01:08 PM   #3
terrie
Staff

I've been getting those type of emails over the last few weeks too and I've just deleted them. Thanks for the link to info about them...'-}}

Hugh...do the phone calls you get leave a message or are you answering your phone? Due to my hearing loss, I rarely, if ever, answer my phone and I figure if a caller is legitimate, they will leave a message on my answering machine and I can call them back. If they don't then it's just scammers. Have fun on your cruise...'-}}

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 06:06 PM   #4
Hugh Wyn Griffith

We get all sorts -- hidden identity; faked numbers that hide offshore callers hoping you will call back and generate astronomical call rates; etc etc

Mostly we don't answer unrecognized numbers unless local but since we have family that is scattered we sometimes slip up.

This last one I answered because I'm expecting call backs from two groups dealing with my car being rear ended and they've gone on my call block list -- nice to be able to do it via my PC since the phone service is over the cable internet connection.

You'd have to pay me to go on a Carnival .... unless it were Cunard or HAL which is unlikely! I did sit through a 4 hour sales session for condos once when I lived in the UK -- I forget now what I came away with except a headache but it was fun stone walling their requests for my financial background ......

Hugh
Old 06-27-2014, 11:32 AM   #5
terrie
Staff

Quote:
hugh: We get all sorts -- hidden identity; faked numbers that hide offshore callers hoping you will call back and generate astronomical call rates; etc etc
Yeah...I do like have callerid but it's so often very misleading. Verizon's blocking options are virtually useless and I've considered buying a call blocker but haven't gotten around to it as the highly rated one is $99 and I'm not annoyed $99 worth...'-}}

>>You'd have to pay me to go on a Carnival .... unless it were Cunard or HAL which is unlikely!

LOL!!! I've been on a Cunard ship--can't remember the name but it was a cruise to see the long eclipse of the sun off the coast of Africa many years ago. Don't know HAL at all...

Terrie
Old 06-27-2014, 02:10 PM   #6
Hugh Wyn Griffith

HAL still retains its Dutch origins although I've encountered non-Dutch Captains! The cabin staff are mostly Indonesian and very good at looking after you ..... with a sense of fun with the towel animals they make most nights ... and the chocolate on the pillows.

The Lido buffet food is good to with wonderful Egg Benedict at breakfast including made with lashings of Smoked Salmon .... lunch display often includes smoked salmon/gravlax/shrimp .......

One luxury restaurant, the Pinnacle, which has some really high class items and with out repeat cruise rating we get 50% off the fixed fee so it's not exorbitant ....

And it's no longer an old fogies refuge although we were on one cruise where a passenger and her family celebrated her 100th birthday.

Hugh
Old 06-28-2014, 12:37 PM   #7
terrie
Staff

Quote:
hugh: HAL still retains its Dutch origins
Ahhh...sounds like a really nice line...where do they sail?

Terrie
Old 06-28-2014, 02:50 PM   #8
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Everywhere .....

www.hollandamerica.com/

Hugh
Old 06-28-2014, 07:20 PM   #9
terrie
Staff

Duh!!! I didn't realize HAL was Holland America...'-}}

Terrie
Old 06-29-2014, 03:43 PM   #10
Hugh Wyn Griffith

My reply could be true for the other HAL I suppose ....

Hugh