DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Introduce Yourself

Old 03-13-2014, 02:12 PM   #1
Diana

Default Tabloid publishing

Hi, I've been interested in print publishing for years. I'm focused on learning about tabloid publishing for fun and profit. I would appreciate if members here would share with me their links on how to of tabloid publishing it'll be great.

thanks
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 02:51 PM   #2
terrie
Staff

Welcome to the forum...'-}}

Could you tell us a little bit more about what you want to do? What sort of distribution? Will you be printing it yourself?

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 12:29 PM   #3
Diana

I've found a printer that will print it. The paper is 12 pages full color, Mainly selling ads to local businesses. Will be distributing door to door.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:49 PM   #4
terrie
Staff

Will it just contain ads?

What OS are you using?

Terrie
Old 03-17-2014, 05:45 AM   #5
Diana

Yest it will.. this is how I want to finance producing it.. by selling ads to local businesses.
I am using windows 7 home edition.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:20 AM   #6
Bo Aakerstrom

Have you got the software already, or are you looking to get a DTP application?

Old 03-17-2014, 06:37 AM   #7
Diana

I havn't got a software yet. I definitely want to get one.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:59 AM   #8
don Arnoldy
Curmudgeon

Diana-

So, you want to be publisher...that's an adventurous undertaking.

What publishing schedule are you contemplating—weekly, monthly?

Are you planning to be a "shopper"—almost entirely ads, a few reprinted news releases and syndicated articles, everyone gets it for free? Are you planning to be a newspaper—more original news content, fewer ads, usually a subscription fee?

Most local weeklies these days survive by publishing legal notices—but you have to be certified by a county authority and meet certain criteria in order to do so. Are you going to take classified ads—they need managing?

4-color throughout is quite ambitious (and costly) for a new publication. Unless you have a pocketful of large advertisers who are committed to color ads, you might want to consider starting with 4-color on the front and back, and black only on the inside.

What circulation numbers are you contemplating? How are you planning to distribute it: mail, contracting with a service, or by hiring and managing carriers (we don't call them "paper boys" any more) yourself?

Who's going to sell ads—you going to hire people or do that yourself? Who's going to create your editorial content? You can go a long way by just covering local high school sports (and get high school journalism students to do so for cheap) and the local town/city council meetings.

You're going to need a designer/layout person. Most advertiser for a local publication will not have an agency, they will expect ad creation as part of the service you provide—and will not be willing to pay much for that service. The main thing that distinguishes most start-up "rags" from "real" newspapers is the attention to design—they just look like they were put together by somebody who had only taken one workshop on how to scrapbook.

Welcome to the world of publishing—expect some fun, maybe somewhat less profit—and if that doesn't dissuade you, you may succeed.

--don

Old 03-17-2014, 05:21 PM   #9
Diana

Hi Don : )

Publishing schedule: monthly
niche: tabloid free shopper
pages: 12 full color
quantity: 10,000 - 15,000 households
distribution: door to door/ mail
Ad sales: myself
layout/designer: I want to teach my self ad design and how to layout a tabloid/ or find someone to do the design/ layout for my tabloid.

this is it in a nutshell.
I've already sourced a printer.
I'm currently doing market research.

I don't know what else to do. I looked online for specific training and I didn't find any.
Old 03-18-2014, 01:59 PM   #10
terrie
Staff

Quote:
diana: I looked online for specific training and I didn't find any.
What I think you want to look for are courses on page design and page layout at local university/college/community college/online. Adobe InDesign and QuarkXpress are generally acknowledged as the professional level software for page design and layout so the courses/training may be under those headings perhaps as a subset of graphic design. Take a look at the wikipedia entry on Page Layout which you might find useful.

Terrie