DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > General Publishing Topics

Old 03-10-2014, 08:41 PM   #1
Andrew B.
Staff

Default Too many files on hard disk?

Now that I have to copy files from one computer to another, I realize how long this will take. I have 50 gigs in My Documents. Is that a lot by today's standards?

Old 03-10-2014, 09:06 PM   #2
terrie
Staff

Are you sure there aren't any temp files in there?

I separate out my text data from my images data--stored in 2 different partitions or I've created a master folder for all text files and a separate master image folder with subfolders under the each master on my backup laptop. On my current desktop system, I've got about 9GB of text data and about 130GB worth of images.

If you keep all your data--text and images--in My Documents (eeewww...'-}}) could you do a small reorg by creating a new master "textdata" folder and drag all your text data there and create a new master "nontextdata" folder and drag what's left into that one which might make your copying to the new system a bit easier?

Or...just bite the bullet, have breakfast, lunch and maybe dinner while 50GB copies to your new system...'-}}

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:32 PM   #3
Andrew B.
Staff

I have all my graphics in one tree branch under My Documents. Same with software. It just makes it easier to keep it all under My Documents.

With the graphics, I actually offloaded a bunch a few years ago and ended up putting them all back on. I think I need to take a look at software downloads, though. I'm sure I have a lot of trial versions. And some free give-aways could be offloaded.

Old 03-11-2014, 02:17 PM   #4
terrie
Staff

Quote:
andrew: I have all my graphics in one tree branch under My Documents. Same with software.
That should make things a bit easier because you could copy the branches individually...

>>It just makes it easier to keep it all under My Documents.

I don't trust My Documents. I want my data (whatever flavor) in my own master folders/partitions.

>>I think I need to take a look at software downloads, though. I'm sure I have a lot of trial versions. And some free give-aways could be offloaded.

I have my downloads in a master folder (within subfolders) on my "miscellaneous" partition--basically a partition for odds and ends--and while I always have the thought that I should go in an really clean it out, particularly when I get a new system, I usually end up just copying the whole thing to the new system because I keep thinking "well, maybe I might need that later". I rarely download trial versions of software but if I did and didn't use the software then I probably would be less reluctant to delete it than I am with drivers.

With the new external drives being so large, copying files from an old system to a new system is certainly much easier and less labor intensive than it used to be and there's the added advantage--if your external drive is large enough--that the external drive becomes a form of backup.

Terrie
Old 03-11-2014, 03:59 PM   #5
Hugh Wyn Griffith

How are the two connected?

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 04:18 PM   #6
terrie
Staff

Quote:
hugh: How are the two connected?
What?

Terrie
Old 03-12-2014, 02:16 PM   #7
BobRoosth

If that includes a large photo library, not so much. How are you making the copy? I generally use Windows Easy Transfer to choose what I want to save, then copy to an external drive, and copy back with the same program on the new machine. This copies a lot of settings that are pretty hard to locate. I use an external drive because the one time I used a network connection, the process was not stable. I have never used one of the USB transfer cables, although I did back in the Win 3.1 to XP days.

If you are doing your own copying, I suggest downloading Teracopy. It appears to be faster than straight drag-n-drop or xcopy, and does not stop dead on errors.
BobRoosth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 03:25 PM   #8
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
What?
I think Hugh is asking how the two computers are connected.

Old 03-12-2014, 04:37 PM   #9
Andrew B.
Staff

Transferring the files turned out to not be a big deal. I just did it a bit at a time using Beyond Compare to do the copying (via wifi). Not until all the files were over did I start installing software, with my most important programs first. So now I'm working from the new computer. All that's left now is installing other software as needed.

FWIW, I used Beyond Compare to copy from appdata to appdata where needed. Nice to see the two folders side by side.

Old 03-12-2014, 07:59 PM   #10
terrie
Staff

Quote:
ann: I think Hugh is asking how the two computers are connected.
Duh...of course...thanks...'-}}

Terrie