DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Old 02-12-2014, 10:18 PM   #1
Andrew B.
Staff

Default Laptop reliability

Here's a report about laptop repair frequency from 2009. Do you think this is how it is today?

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/mos...tops,9102.html

Old 02-13-2014, 08:32 AM   #2
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

I wrote a long answer to this but decided it was boring and not very enlightening. ;-)

Short version: my wife and I have had three Toshibas and something like 7 IBM/Lenovo laptops plus a few other odds/ends since the mid 90s. One of the Toshes had several problems, all of which I was able to repair myself. Three of the Lennies needed fan replacements, but only after we'd had them for well more than the three years that the article talks about. And I guess I can't blame the most expensive of the three Toshim for getting itself stolen.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:34 AM   #3
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Oh, one other thing ... I'd guess that the repair frequency for new Vaios will drop dramatically fairly soon. I just read that Sony has spun that division off and the new owners will no longer be marketing PCs outside Japan.

No PCs, no failures.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 02-13-2014, 09:50 AM   #4
Andrew B.
Staff

My Viao had a hard disk problem in the first year. Sony replaced it, and also the keyboard because the letters were wearing off. And now the letters are wearing off on the new one. Some are completely gone. Also, a crack in the case, which might be my fault, because I was clipping a speaker to the top of the screen, and the weight might have stressed the case near the hinge.

Anyway, interesting to hear about three fans going out. And there is a joke in there about fan clubs, but I'll leave it alone.

Old 02-13-2014, 12:58 PM   #5
terrie
Staff

I have limited experience with Vaios but my experience with them is not particularly good and I'd never buy one--the one I have is a pass-on from one of my sister's clients and I've cleaned up a couple more from the same source. My sister's (the one in ME) little HP laptop is coming up on 3 years and overall, it's working nicely for my sister. The Dell laptops are workhorses that just keep going and going--similar to HP's laser printers...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 03:34 PM   #6
Paul

I had a Vaio sub-notebook that was completely reliable. The only portable computer that I have ever had to have repaired was an IBM, from the days when IBM still made them. It broke just before the end of the warranty, so the repair was covered, but I had to find the bill of sale.

In the olden days, one of my online friends bragged about choosing a Toshiba because it was more reliable than any other make. However, that particular Toshiba seemed to be broken most of the time.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 06:36 PM   #7
Howard Allen

I've only owned 3 laptops and they've all been very reliable in my estimation:

1999 Apple Powerbook: my main machine until 2006. Hard drive crashed once after 2 years. I smashed the screen with an errant phone receiver, replaced the screen myself, and it still works fine. I use it occasionally.

2004 Vaio: my only Windows machine, hard drive crashed in 2012. Not bad for 8 years. It's still the main machine if I need to use Windows--XP Pro--for some reason (work).

2006 Apple MacBook Pro: my current main machine. No trouble at all. Swapped the HD for a SSD two years ago and haven't looked back.

Seems like every brand has been dissed, probably unfairly, at one time or another. As with many other things (cars), I think the biggest factor in longevity is how well it's treated.

OSX 10.10.5
Howard Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 07:47 AM   #8
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Another point worth looking into is the ease of getting needed repairs done. I've heard good things of Sony, and have no complaints whatever about the Lenovos. You call and talk to a competent person with a slight Atlanta accent, they send you a box, it arrives the next day (AM). Pack up the lappie, call the number and they pick it up (same day, PM). After a few days, the repaired PC comes back.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 02-14-2014, 07:58 AM   #9
Andrew B.
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg View Post
Another point worth looking into is the ease of getting needed repairs done. I've heard good things of Sony, and have no complaints whatever about the Lenovos. You call and talk to a competent person with a slight Atlanta accent, they send you a box, it arrives the next day (AM). Pack up the lappie, call the number and they pick it up (same day, PM). After a few days, the repaired PC comes back.
One way to get an idea of this is by looking at comments on Amazon. This might end up controlling my decisions more than reliability.

BTW, I heard somewhere that the HP office line is of higher quality than the consumer line. I also remember people buying Dell's at work and then wishing they had ordered an Optiplex (Dells office line)

Old 02-14-2014, 12:11 PM   #10
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

I suspect that's true across the board ... that the "business" line from any vendor will be better made and offer more customization options than the consumer line. At a commensurately higher price.

I've always gone with the business line and loaded up on RAM/HDD etc, whether at purchase or later on. Costs a good bit more this way, but I stay happy with the computer and its performance a lot longer.

www.pptools.com
and stuff