DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 01-05-2014, 05:32 PM   #1
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea
Default Eternal need for CS4

My new MacBook Pro Retina display arrived this morning, and I'm about to do a clean-up on the existing nearly 5 year old MacBook Pro before I connect the new one up and do the transfer.

From memory of restoring stuff with the replacement hard drive in 2012, pretty well all the apps will transfer happily, but CS6 insisted that I reinstall CS4 from scratch before it would let me reinstall CS6 and use it.

Is this going to happen for ever? It's a pain in the bum.

Old 01-05-2014, 08:26 PM   #2
terrie
Staff

Quote:
ann: but CS6 insisted that I reinstall CS4 from scratch before it would let me reinstall CS6 and use it.
You can't just pop the...oh...wait...maybe you don't have a CD to pop in when necessary--maybe Adobe changed that approach? Is is a real pain to install CS4 then CS6 and then uininstall CS4 or do you have to leave CS4 installed for CS6 to work?

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 01:29 AM   #3
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
You can't just pop the...oh...wait...maybe you don't have a CD to pop in when necessary--maybe Adobe changed that approach? Is is a real pain to install CS4 then CS6 and then uininstall CS4 or do you have to leave CS4 installed for CS6 to work?
You have to have it installed. And it worries me that I might have to find this CS4 installation in 2030.

Old 01-06-2014, 02:00 PM   #4
terrie
Staff

Quote:
ann: You have to have it installed.
Found this:

"How to fix Photoshop's missing Application Support Files error"

Hope that does the trick...'-}}

Found that link via a Mac-side Adobe forums thread...

Terrie
Old 01-06-2014, 02:04 PM   #5
annc
Sysop

Quote:
Found this:

"How to fix Photoshop's missing Application Support Files error"

Hope that does the trick...'-}}

Found that link via a Mac-side Adobe forums thread...
Thanks for that link, Terrie! That was my problem last time, after my hard drive died. I took the opportunity to upgrade to Snow Leopard when the computer shop installed the new drive.

Old 01-06-2014, 02:54 PM   #6
terrie
Staff

Quote:
ann: Thanks for that link, Terrie!
You're welcome! Did his suggestion fix the issue?

I find it really annoying when you get these sorts of nebulous error messages that don't specify the problematic file(s) so you could at least do some sort of intelligible searching on the issue...

Terrie
Old 01-06-2014, 07:43 PM   #7
annc
Sysop

Quote:
You're welcome! Did his suggestion fix the issue?

I find it really annoying when you get these sorts of nebulous error messages that don't specify the problematic file(s) so you could at least do some sort of intelligible searching on the issue...
I didn't know about it when I had the problem, and did the horrible reinstall after frantically searching for installation CDs.

This time, I'm using different OS versions, and can't do the migration because I'm having weird network issues, which means that the two MacBook Pros can't find each other on the network when I use Migration Assistant, although they can each see the other one connected to the network in Airport Utility. I'm currently bamboozled, but have to do some other stuff urgently for a couple of days.

The idea of reinstalling all my software manually is daunting, to say the least.

Oh, and the new laptop doesn't have a CD drive, so I'd need to use the old laptop to do that, but they won't talk to each other...

Old 01-06-2014, 07:56 PM   #8
terrie
Staff

Quote:
ann: I'm having weird network issues, which means that the two MacBook Pros can't find each other on the network when I use Migration Assistant, although they can each see the other one connected to the network in Airport Utility.
What a pita...hope you get it sorted out...

>>The idea of reinstalling all my software manually is daunting, to say the least.

LOL!! That is one advantage macs have that is nice but with each new system I've gotten, I've used that to reorg and rethink which software to install--and updates of course which are a pain.

>>Oh, and the new laptop doesn't have a CD drive, so I'd need to use the old laptop to do that, but they won't talk to each other...

Buy an external drive? The HP netbook/small laptop my sister bought a couple of years ago didn't have a cd/dvd drive and I can sort of understand it for the smaller laptops but not for a "normally" sized one.

If you do look into buying an external cd/dvd drive, look at the specs carefully because when I checked them a bit ago, anything labeled as "portable" doesn't come with a power brick and very often requires two usb ports to operate--a single usb port doesn't give the drive enough power--and they often aren't clear in the specs. A drive in the "external" category usually will come with a power brick and you can use a single usb port...

Terrie
Old 01-06-2014, 08:07 PM   #9
annc
Sysop

Thanks, Terrie. My new laptop is the 13 inch MacBook Pro with retina display and I love it. Four years ago at work when I was offered a 13 inch Dell laptop as a replacement for my ageing HP 15 inch, I refused it because I couldn't read the tiny print on the screen.

But I was happy to buy this one because I love the screens on my iPad mini and iPhone 5S, so knew I would find it easy to read.

And when I've finally got it all sorted out, I'll be using the 17" cinema display most of the time anyway.

Oh and the cinema display has three USB ports and my keyboard has two, so if I get an external CD drive I should be OK. Thanks for the warning, now I know a couple of things to beware of if I go down that road.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:20 PM   #10
terrie
Staff

Quote:
ann: My new laptop is the 13 inch MacBook Pro with retina display and I love it.
Ahhh...a baby mac...now I understand why there is no cd/dvd drive...'-}}

>>Oh and the cinema display has three USB ports and my keyboard has two, so if I get an external CD drive I should be OK. Thanks for the warning, now I know a couple of things to beware of if I go down that road.

I just stumbled across the difference when I was looking at external drives. If you know you will most likely be using it at home or where there is power, then I think getting one with a power brick would probably be the way to go. I don't know if this is true but my impression is that the drives in the "portable" category aren't as sturdy and...they tend to be more expensive.

Terrie