DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Production & Automation

Old 06-13-2005, 05:24 PM   #1
Howard Fisher

Default HP printer rejects fonts from Quark

I am using QuarkXpress 4.03 with Windows 98SE. I've just installed an HP 1320 postscript printer. When I try to print a Quark document, the HP substitutes its internal Courier font in place of the fonts contained in the document. But EPS graphics in the document print fine.

This only happens when I print from Quark; when the same fonts are used in a Word or Wordpad document, for example, there is no problem.

I have heard of this happening with other HP printers. Can anyone offer a solution?

--Howard
Howard Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 07:16 PM   #2
Stephen Owades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Fisher
I am using QuarkXpress 4.03 with Windows 98SE. I've just installed an HP 1320 postscript printer. When I try to print a Quark document, the HP substitutes its internal Courier font in place of the fonts contained in the document. But EPS graphics in the document print fine.

This only happens when I print from Quark; when the same fonts are used in a Word or Wordpad document, for example, there is no problem.

I have heard of this happening with other HP printers. Can anyone offer a solution?

--Howard
It sounds as though Quark thinks the fonts you've used in your document are resident in the printer, so that it doesn't need to download them. I believe that Quark 4 uses PPD files to determine the features--including the built-in fonts--of your printer, and if you've got the wrong PPD selected Quark may believe the fonts are printer-resident. Quark has information on this at http://www.quark.com/service/desktop...tallingcorrect .
Stephen Owades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 03:26 AM   #3
LoisWakeman
Staff

Howard, have you looked in the printer driver settings? I am not familiar with HP PS, but in my QMS PS drivers, I have the option to download fonts as Truetype, substitute with printer fonts, or download as softfont. (In the advanced settings).

It is odd that Quark works differently from other apps though.
LoisWakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 11:46 AM   #4
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Not really so odd that QXP would behave differently.

Most run of the mill apps rely entirely on the Windows printer driver to create the PS that goes to the printer. DTP and PS-centric illustration apps like Quark, Corel apps, PageMaker, ID I'DGuess make their own PS and use the driver only as a "pipeline" to send it to the printer. Any normal "My driver works this way" rules of thumb go out the window.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 06:23 AM   #5
Howard Fisher

Thanks, I retrieved PPD from Quark's website and it seems to do the job.

--Howard
Howard Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote