DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Old 12-31-2013, 03:01 PM   #1
johnnyboy

Default Computer Upgrade

I have had my computer for a few years now and I have decided to upgrade. Mine is a desktop PC with two monitors running Windows 7 and I want to stay with a similar set-up. Just bigger and better. Also thoughts on Windows 8.
johnnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 03:14 PM   #2
terrie
Staff

Do you have a local shop for a custom build or do you order from the major makers? I've always had my systems custom built because I think you get more for your money but it's getting harder and harder to find local custom builders. A friend of mine had her new system custom built by Performance PC and was very pleased with the result and with the company itself.

Which monitors do you have? Will you get new ones or use your existing monitors?

From what I have read, the 8.1 update has resolved some of the Win8 annoyances but I'm still not interested in moving from Win7 since I had a new system custom built just a little bit over a year ago. Why do you want to move to 8/8.1?

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 03:26 PM   #3
johnnyboy

I would have to investigate to see if there is a custom builder nearby. The computer I have was a custom built one but we have moved away from him. Like you I would prefer that.

I am very happy with Windows 7 and I don't envisage changing but 8 is a later version so it should be considered.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:11 PM   #4
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Perhaps you could give the specification of your present computer -- a free utility called Speccy will give you more technical details of your hardware that you would believe. Just Download and install the free version, run it and after it analyses your PC it will give you the details.

What version of Windows do you have installed and is it 32 bit or 64 bit? Speccy will give you that information.
But knowing the CPU, the amount of RAM, the size of the hard drive and how much free space on it there is.

Did your original builder give you the Microsoft installation disk for Windows 7 (not one for recovery made on your system but a Microsoft one with a fancy label and saying which version of Windows 7 it is and and whether it its 32 bit or 64 bit.

Do you have any older hardware peripherals like scanner or printer since for some there are no recent drivers especially for Windows 64 bit versions and without those you cannot install and use the hardware.

What about your monitors -- CRT or newer?

What do you use your computer for mostly?

Sometimes you can get a major improvement in performance just by some updates including more RAM or newer hard drives.

Windows 7 installation disks can still be bought but not at the sort of price we paid when it was new!

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 04:27 PM   #5
johnnyboy

Thanks Hugh. I have done as you suggest and downloaded Speccy. How do I get the report to you?
Old 12-31-2013, 07:05 PM   #6
terrie
Staff

Quote:
johnnyboy: I would have to investigate to see if there is a custom builder nearby. The computer I have was a custom built one but we have moved away from him. Like you I would prefer that.
If you can't find a local builder, do take a browse and perhaps contact PerformancePC as my friend was very, very pleased with their work. I'm probably going to use them next time as I'm not really happy with the shop that built my current (and my previous) system and I haven't been able to find another local builder although, I've not looked very hard...'-}}

>>I am very happy with Windows 7 and I don't envisage changing but 8 is a later version so it should be considered.

Definitely...

Post the Speccy output here as I'd be interested in what you've got on your current setup. You can attach a text file, pdf, jpg file via the "Go Advanced" button on a reply--scroll down a bit and you'll see "Manage Attachments" in the "Attach Files" subsection of Advanced. Let us know if you need help with that...

Terrie
Old 12-31-2013, 09:20 PM   #7
johnnyboy

Default Computer Upgrade

Here it is.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Computer Details 2.txt (682 Bytes, 30 views)
Old 12-31-2013, 10:12 PM   #8
terrie
Staff

Well...you certainly could easily have a nice system built that would better that by quite a bit...'-}}

When I had my system built, I had been planning on something like 8 or maybe even 16GB RAM and succumbed to the lure of 32GB--it really was a bit of overkill on my part--because RAM was not too badly priced. I really wasn't interested in getting an SSD but was talked into a 256GB SSD which I use just for the OS (Win7Pro-64bit) and then added a 1TB drive which I divvied up into 4 partitions--one for text type data (~100GB), one for software (~100GB, I never install my software in the standard Windows location), one for downloads and miscellaneous odds and ends (~100GB) and the last for imaging work (~700GB).

What's the size of your current monitors? Do you want to get new monitors?

What will you be doing with your system?

Do you have a budget in mind?

Terrie
Old 01-01-2014, 02:15 AM   #9
johnnyboy

Both monitors are 19 inch but one is the old shape and other the new. So I want to upgrade to two the same shape but larger. What size do you think?

I spend quite a time on the computer doing family history but my present project is a 570 page book which is made up of transcribed articles from online newspapers written in the 1880s.

Another factor is that if I buy a new set-up I can pass the old one to a daughter who badly needs something better than what she has.

I don't have a budget in mind but my ancestors were Scottish so I watch what I spend
Old 01-01-2014, 11:29 AM   #10
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

>> Both monitors are 19 inch but one is the old shape and other the new. So I want to upgrade to two the same shape but larger. What size do you think?

Measure your available space, measure the overall size of the monitors you're looking at and let that be your guide. Two slightly smaller monitors on your desktop is ever so much more convenient than one slightly larger monitor on the desktop and one on the floor. ;-)

Choice of monitor may also depend on the kind of work you plan to do. I mostly wiggle words and programming code around and vet the results in PowerPoint and the like. Dead-accurate color rendition isn't important at all to me, so I can get by with fairly cheap monitors. If you do a lot of photoshop-type work, you'd certainly want something better.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote