DTP


 
Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web


Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2013, 07:20 AM   #1
Jennifer Murphy
Member
 
Jennifer Murphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 10
Default How to make an image non-printing in Publisher

I have some pre-printed stationery and envelopes. I've attached an image of one of the envelopes.

I want to create a template that shows the actual image, so I can create text boxes that flow around the pre-printed images, but won't print the image.

I tried this in Word, but, of course, it is not anywhere close to a desktop publishing program. I tried it in Publisher, but I cannot figure out a way to make the image non-printing.

I can make any object non-printing in Visio, but, again, it is not a desktop publishing application. It has no capability for flowing text around an object.

Can anyone tell me how to do this in Publisher (2007)?

If this is not possible, which is what I think is the case, can someone recommend a real desktop publishing program that can do this? I'd prefer to keep the cost to around $50, but would be willing to spend more for a really great program. By "really great", I mostly mean easy to use. I won't be publishing any books or brochures. I mostly need it for Christmas letters to the grandkids.

Thanks

PS: I'm new here. Please let me know if this is not the right place to post this.

   
__________________
Running Office 2007 on Win XP
Jennifer Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 07:44 AM   #2
Steve Rindsberg
Staff
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 6,711
Default

My "Steve, The Simpleminded" solution would be to design the piece with the image in place then save it, then delete the image before printing, assuming that that doesn't mess up the text flow, which is probably a bad assumption.

Or design the piece with the image in place, then before printing, add another shape the same color as the background, with no outline, big enough to cover the image, then send it backward until it covers the image but nothing that sits atop the image (ie, the text).

That gets problematic if your background's not a solid color; there's no Background fill option for shapes as there is in some other Office programs.

You could also insert a Freeform shape, create it so that it follows the outline of the part of the picture you want text to wrap around, then have the text wrap around the freeform rather than the picture (which you'd delete). Finally, when ready to print, give the freeform no fill, no outline ... iow, make it invisible.

   
__________________
Steve Rindsberg
====================
www.pptfaq.com
www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 08:05 AM   #3
Jennifer Murphy
Member
 
Jennifer Murphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg View Post
My "Steve, The Simpleminded" solution would be to design the piece with the image in place then save it, then delete the image before printing, assuming that that doesn't mess up the text flow, which is probably a bad assumption.

Or design the piece with the image in place, then before printing, add another shape the same color as the background, with no outline, big enough to cover the image, then send it backward until it covers the image but nothing that sits atop the image (ie, the text).

That gets problematic if your background's not a solid color; there's no Background fill option for shapes as there is in some other Office programs.

You could also insert a Freeform shape, create it so that it follows the outline of the part of the picture you want text to wrap around, then have the text wrap around the freeform rather than the picture (which you'd delete). Finally, when ready to print, give the freeform no fill, no outline ... iow, make it invisible.
Are you saying that Publisher cannot make an image non-printing?

Do you know of a program that can?

There are a lot of work-arounds, but I would like to see if there is a program, Publisher or something else, that can do it right.

   
__________________
Running Office 2007 on Win XP
Jennifer Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 08:15 AM   #4
Howard Allen
Member
 
Howard Allen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 824
Default

Welcome to the forum!

I know absolutely zilch about MS Publisher, so please excuse me if my reply seems dumb or obviously wrong.

Does Publisher have layers? Can you turn the layers on and off? If so, and if you haven't already tried this, you could put your template image on one layer and your text on another layer, then turn off/hide the template layer before printing. It occurs to me that one possible gotcha with this idea is that the text might rewrap if you move the template to a different layer. If that is indeed the case, you might try--if such a thing is possible--rasterizing the text (convert it to a high resolution image) prior to moving the template to a different layer.

Steve's suggestion of making a white or transparent template object to wrap your text around is a good one, and is something I've done in other programs. (Though ISTR that one of those other programs would refuse to wrap text around transparent or white objects...)

Let us know how you make out. There's more than one way to skin a cat, and we should be able to come up with a solution.

   
__________________
Howard

OSX 10.10.5
Howard Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:16 AM   #5
Jennifer Murphy
Member
 
Jennifer Murphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Allen View Post
Welcome to the forum!

I know absolutely zilch about MS Publisher, so please excuse me if my reply seems dumb or obviously wrong.

Does Publisher have layers? Can you turn the layers on and off? If so, and if you haven't already tried this, you could put your template image on one layer and your text on another layer, then turn off/hide the template layer before printing. It occurs to me that one possible gotcha with this idea is that the text might rewrap if you move the template to a different layer. If that is indeed the case, you might try--if such a thing is possible--rasterizing the text (convert it to a high resolution image) prior to moving the template to a different layer.

Steve's suggestion of making a white or transparent template object to wrap your text around is a good one, and is something I've done in other programs. (Though ISTR that one of those other programs would refuse to wrap text around transparent or white objects...)

Let us know how you make out. There's more than one way to skin a cat, and we should be able to come up with a solution.
Well, I only know a little more than Zilch about Publisher. That's why I'm asking questions.

And I can't find a forum devoted to it, even on the Microsoft website, so I'm guessing no one is using it.

As far as I know, it does not have layers. It does have a background, but it seems that it is only for a kind of fill.

At this point, I am not looking for a work around. I can do that with Word or Visio. I'm looking for the right solution, either in Publisher or in something else.

   
__________________
Running Office 2007 on Win XP
Jennifer Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:28 AM   #6
Kayza
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 253
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Murphy View Post
Are you saying that Publisher cannot make an image non-printing?

Do you know of a program that can?

There are a lot of work-arounds, but I would like to see if there is a program, Publisher or something else, that can do it right.
I don't know enough about Publisher to know if you can do what you want, although if it can do layers, you can probably set a layer to be non-printing.

Serif Page Plus (http://www.serif.com/pageplus/) does do layers, and you can set a layer to be non-printing. At $75 the full version is a bit more expensive than you wanted to spend, but they have a free version. It might be worth seeing whether it can do this (and has the other features you need.)
Kayza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 10:25 AM   #7
Jennifer Murphy
Member
 
Jennifer Murphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayza View Post
I don't know enough about Publisher to know if you can do what you want, although if it can do layers, you can probably set a layer to be non-printing.

Serif Page Plus (http://www.serif.com/pageplus/) does do layers, and you can set a layer to be non-printing. At $75 the full version is a bit more expensive than you wanted to spend, but they have a free version. It might be worth seeing whether it can do this (and has the other features you need.)
Apparently no one knows anything about Publisher.

Do you use Page Plus?

   
__________________
Running Office 2007 on Win XP
Jennifer Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 12:06 PM   #8
Bo Aakerstrom
Member
 
Bo Aakerstrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Derby,UK
Posts: 1,316
Default

Don't know anything about Publisher. A quick search reveals that Publisher treats every object as a layer (?) according to Microsoft anyway, if you can make anything non-printing is not clear.

However, you can do what you are wanting to do in Scribus, which is an open source DTP application. The price is good too, being exactly $50 below what you was prepared to pay.

http://scribus.net/canvas/Scribus

There is a bit of a learning curve involved, but well worth the effort.

You create your design and then simply select any object to not print. For the text to flow around the image it (the text) has got to be on a level below the image.

   
__________________
www.boaakerstrom.com
Behance Portfolio
Bo Aakerstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 01:10 PM   #9
BobRoosth
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Los Angeles, Ca.
Posts: 933
Default

I am not much of an expert in Publisher either. I have Publisher 2010, so what I found may or may not be in 2007. You can place the image in a #10 Envelope page with 0" margins, then insert a text box or boxes. On the Drawing Tools Format tab there is a button for Edit Shape->Edit Wrap Points. Shape that as you like, then delete the image. Save the document. You don't need the image to ensure the text clears the image once you have the shape(s) the way you want.
BobRoosth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 01:43 AM   #10
Bo Aakerstrom
Member
 
Bo Aakerstrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Derby,UK
Posts: 1,316
Default

That makes sense, and makes learning new software redundant as well.

   
__________________
www.boaakerstrom.com
Behance Portfolio
Bo Aakerstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ventura Publisher Gone? Andrew B. Software 12 01-29-2012 09:42 PM
Image Organizer or Image Viewer wetzel Images 14 01-13-2009 11:22 PM
Mirror image printing Steve Rindsberg General Publishing Topics 7 09-12-2006 01:49 PM
Printing and Image litho PeterArnel Print Production & Automation 9 07-03-2006 02:10 PM
How do I make this blurry image clear? JABTE05 Images 7 06-26-2005 10:19 AM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Contents copyright 2004–2014 Desktop Publishing Forum and its members.