DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Old 12-26-2013, 08:15 AM   #11
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Avery do card stock perforated -- I only mentioned labels because I came across (and use) those with rounded corners.

Their minimum quantities may be large but checking a wholesaler like paper direct would give you access to multiple sources.

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 08:54 AM   #12
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

I just checked to see what oddball sizes are available on my inexpensive little Canon Pixma ip4200 printer and found that the driver includes a "credit card" size of 2.13 x 3.39 inches, which'd put it within the range you need. You can also define your own custom sizes (it won't let you go below the credit card dimensions so I assume that's the smallest physical size it can handle.)

I've had this for a couple of years and don't know if the current crop of printers has the same paper handling features, but it's worth checking. It's a rugged little beast, cost me less than $100, does real duplexing (none of your manual print and flop). Canon's drivers are easy to live with, too.

If in doubt, you could probably download the drivers from Canon, install them and see what sizes they offer.

This might be the current "successor" to my unit:
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consum...s/pixma_ip7220

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 06:47 PM   #13
Kayza

Quote:
Originally Posted by baudot View Post
If those printers will print to cardstock and not just plastic, then they'll do the job. This is the best suggestion yet.

Naturally, I'm ouching a bit at the 3,000$ starting price tag for even the most humble card printer. I may have to dig deeper on this site.
I DID say they were expensive. There is a reason it wasn't my first suggestion.

I suggest that you give them a call. The people I have dealt with there are generally quite knowledgeable.

I came up with this one using their wizard. http://www.barcodesinc.com/pdf/Zebra/zxp-series-3.pdf Still not cheap, but at ~$1,600 slightly less cringe inducing. I have no idea if the card thickness range here is useful to you, but it's in the specs, so this might be a starting point.

I've actually used a printer in this series (it get destroyed by Sandy, unfortunately), and they are nicely designed. They look like toys, but really aren't.
Kayza is offline   Reply With Quote